And they keep telling us ham radio isn't dumbed down - Redux

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sweep tubes were used in TVs to make the waveform that swept the electron beam back and forth across the CRT. They could handle a fair amount of power for the price, which was dirt cheap back then because TVs needed millions of them.
    * Does knowing this make me smart and you dumbed down? Not really, it just means I have a good memory of arcane vacuum tube stuff that is decades past relevance for almost anyone :rolleyes:

W4HM likes this.
  2. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Needs to buy a copy of the ARRL handbook, hihi.

3. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn't have one here. My own novice station was the first ham radio station I ever saw. Year after year I met more hams and a lot of good ops and a hand full were excellent electronics technicians, but I didn't see a lot of one-on-one mentoring happening.

But for me personally, I was inspired and motivated a lot by more experienced hams that were doing things that I had not yet discovered. The most recent example was just this past weekend. A friend invited me to attend his clubs Field Day operation (L'ance Cruese ARC in Mich). They had four stations; one dedicated HF Phone, one dedicated HF CW, one dedicated vhf/uhf digital, and one dedicated satellite. My friend K8EO ran the dedicated satellite station.

Years ago I was exclusively a satellite op. I sold my HF gear and bought an IC-820H and the Yaesu Az/El rotors and KLM satellite antennas. But all tracking and Doppler correction I did manually. I lost interest in satellite operation when the Phase III program seemed to be abandoned and I sold all my satellite capable gear including the 5400B Az/El rotors.

My friend used automatic tracking and Doppler correction software and was making contacts on the sats like gang busters. After not having any interests in satellites in years, I suddenly felt deep regret for selling the rotors and satellite antennas.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Or visit a local library? :confused: Many DO have copies of various vintages,:cool: even if not every year. And many more have a (nearly) complete QST archive; the amp project was (probably) in the magazine before it got into the HB.

As an aside, many libraries WILL (some gladly) accept donations of unneeded (o_Ois that possible?) Handbooks.

N2HUN likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was being a bit :confused:facetious:p about "sweep toobs." I remember when transistors were a mere "curiosity" at Bell Labs...

6. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

An excellent point. My county library has many ARRL books available.

7. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

"Be very, very, quiet, we're hunting Elmers!"

One thing I have found over the years is that, with Electronics, problems pop up that remind you of something you learnt with completely different equipment, in a different application.
    You apply what you know from that field & it provides the answer.

On that basis, no knowledge is really obsolete.
    Yeah, it being "hands on" makes it difficult.

At one time, there were a lot of people who, if not quite from the pioneering days of radio themselves, in many cases, had worked with & been mentored by those who were.
    They learnt things like how to hold a key so as to reduce fatigue, how to set the gaps, posture when sending, etc.
    This is as important as actual knowledge of the code.

In some cases this was for work, but, in other cases, they were just hams who were lucky enough to actually be "Elmered" by someone highly skilled, back in the day.

I think the percentage of people with good skills, who were interested in passing them on was not much more then than now, it's just that there was a bigger pool to choose from.

When I first tried to learn Morse, It wasn't for amateur radio, but because I wanted to be a shipboard radio operator.
    I got deflected from that ambition into TV, & didn't really much worry about it, till I became a "Z call" ham many years later.
    Around the time I was flunking out of code class, I remember hearing a crusty old ham on 80m AM declaim,"I don't care what they call them----they're not real amateurs!"
    That was in reference to the then newly introduced "Z call".
    So they've always been around!
    Rob, you might have sucked at CW, but you were light years better than me!

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, the ARRL Handbook had no such amplifier.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. Lots of people think that.

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You sure do.

But you remember a past that never was, and do not understand the present.