And they keep telling us ham radio isn't dumbed down - Redux

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have them...

W2AI likes this.
  2. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the desktop "Magic Loop" :):):)

WQ2H_Bug.jpg

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You're 110% correct. :D The ARRL Handbook from the 60's and early 70's had a "lean-yer" (o_Otheir words, not necessarily mine) amplifier that used a single "sweep tube" (whatever they were) for 75 Watts INPUT, PERFECTLY legal for use by Novices (and Amateur Extras as well, I might add.):rolleyes:

WN1MB likes this.
  4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah but there is a lot of wisdom in your noggin and if i poked you with a stick you would sit down and tell me stuff that would make me think. Actually you have done that often when you have spoken about your work history and past with me on QRZ. Whether the information is current or useful I dont think is here nor there.You share your wisdom and that makes you an elmer LOL

True, and I have had people tell me how to do it, the way they did it and the like, and if all i wanted was to follow someones advice things would have been fine and dandy, but actually spend time with me so i can practice and improve my skills and yeah forget it.

I have asked a couple of locals, the one guy who would have, never had the time because he was always traveling for work, actually he just never had time for radio at all. I think he sold up and moved house a few years ago, so dont know what happened to him. There used to be a group that gathered on 7.050 but i have not heard any of them in years. That all fell apart when jihad Bill left the scene. There was also a club thing, but I dont have time for clubs and it never fit in my work schedule.

I agree 100% Morse code is not easy, it is hard. Its lots of hard work and effort and tapes and other tools can only take you so far. I am a practical person, I learn by doing. So I was never going to learn much more than memorizing the code by myself. So i just got on air and called CQ and got myself in all sorts of trouble because i could not copy 1/4 of what people were sending. Had people as far away as Germany email me to tell me how shit I was as CW because i could not copy their call in among the pileup calling me on 15m when doing WWFF or SOTA. So in the absence of a good teacher, you do what you can and either sink or swim. Mostly I sank, but i never gave up.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Back "in the day," a true "radio amateur enthusiast" wouldn't have made the mistake described.:(

6. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

In the U.S. Air Force, there has always been a clear distinction between "operators" and "maintainers" with regards to aircraft. That clear distinction remains today. The "operators" continue being the best at "flying and fighting" and "logistics." The "maintainers" continue to be the best at and improving maintenance techniques, maintenance tracking and life cycle management. However, in Air Force electronics...

There *was* a clear distinction between electronics "operators" and "maintainers" in the 1980's. I was an electronics "maintainer."

The line between electronics "operator" and "maintainer" began to blur in the 1990's.

In the 2000's, there was no longer any line between electronics "operator" and "maintainer". They are now "one in the same." And now they continue to struggle today because no one knows electronics operating or maintaining well any more.

State of ham radio today?

7. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah i worked with really hard men, they taught humility and respect the old fashioned way LOL

W2AI likes this.
  8. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

In VK, the various "Operator's Certificates" were actually technical qualifications, as they all grew from the original "Commercial Operator's Certificate" which was for shipboard Radio Operators.

Unlike the military, merchant ships couldn't afford to employ people who just "operated" the equipment, as well as Techicians to fix it, so the functions were combined.

The "sparks" on a cargo ship out in the middle of the ocean was pretty much on their own!
    My brother was just such an operator, & the things he had to fix stretched far beyond "just the radio gear".
    He was expected to be a Radar & Echosounder guru, too!

On land, over time, the "operator" functions which had been done by a technical person slowly frittered away over time, replaced by non technical ops.

Many of these "non-tech" operators were very skilled at their jobs, but over time, as people prepared to leave, & quickly taught the "Noob" replacing them, then that happened with that person teaching another new person, the knowledge level became dumbed down in those jobs, in turn.

K8PG and N2EY like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The other time in license class requirements pre-date me. I was first licensed in 1971. I think they were a good idea though. It put the notion in your head right from the get-go that improving your overall experience, skills and knowledge base was an expectation.

K8PG and KP4SX like this.
  10. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why are they still publishing QST? Ham radio was destroyed a long time ago by the no code license, FT8 and SDR's.