And they keep telling us ham radio isn't dumbed down - Redux

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Jun 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I caught an item in July QST, where an EXTRA CLASS ham asks where to insert his SWR meter in his chain of transceiver - linear amplifier - antenna tuner - antenna feedline. He also wants to know whereabouts in that set-up a dummy load would go.

That question would have been on the old Novice Test before that licence class was discontinued.

KD0CAC, WQ4G, K5UJ and 9 others like this.
  2. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This again?

KC3BZJ, KE0GXN, KA0USE and 6 others like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

never gets old.

WQ4G, K4AGO, KE5OFJ and 4 others like this.
  4. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have you beat Don.

I have had the experience of listening to and attempting to communicate with an EXTRA CLASS amateur that consistently is transmitting over the station he is listening to.
    On top of this he consistently transmits over the repeater tail and ID as well as hammering the repeater with 50+ watts and a beam, again while talking over another station.

When confronted in person about his operating habits he was immediately defensive, offensive, and intractable. "Haven't these noobs coming into amateur radio figured out that PTT is simplex and VOX is duplex!"

It's been over a year and we still can't get him to acknowledge his error. However he has modified his on air operating practice to allow the repeater tail and ID as well as waiting for the over on HF.
    He still however maintains that he is and always will be correct because that's the way it has always been done.

Note: EXTRA in a day , licensed in 2017, and was a total PITA on 11m for decades.

Don, I still maintain that you can mitigate stupid but willful ignorance takes practice and effort.

AC0OB, WQ4G, VK6APZ and 3 others like this.
  5. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

No, still.
    Some of this is on us. We aren't doing enough to educate the masses.
    Thing is they have to want to be educated.
    You can lead a ham to resonance but you can't make him think.

WQ4G, KB3FEI, N4FZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can petition the question pool committee to put it back in whatever pool you feel appropriate, at Extra level or otherwise.

W4IOA, N4FZ and K7JEM like this.
  7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know people who talk over other people and they don't even need a radio to do it. I don't think it has anything to do with radio knowledge / skills. It's the person's mentality / personality that is the problem.

KB2SMS, AC3GO, KE0GXN and 14 others like this.
  8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made contacts using full duplex 10GHz WBFM radios.

Zak W1VT

9. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was taught to wait my turn to talk, but have relatives that just talk over each other and get louder and louder to interrupt the interruption that they were interrupting.

I don't interrupt after I've been interrupted.

Sidebar: Many commercial radios have a "Busy Channel Lockout" function that can be turned on. We usually did not enable it in radios my shop sold. But one city DPW got ANI automatic unit ID boards added after-market, and BCL came with it. A foreman took me for a ride once to demonstrate coverage, and I smiled inside as he kept trying to interrupt the dispatcher, and her voice kept coming through the speaker as he repeatedly mashed the PTT button.

W5ESE and KT7IM like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. The same question was asked on the Zed the other day. The license exams have NEVER been heavy on practical matters. That is the job of the Elmer.

2. Go back through the 60s issues and you'll find some questions that make that "dumb" one look like, well, rocket science. And not from the Novices of the day, either. ;)

W0FS and N2EY like this.