And on the Sea

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jul 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad ending, unfortunately, the only issue to our beloved General Cargo ships. The one I preferred, by far to all others, was the GC/ timber carrier, M/S André Delmas. General cargo from Europe to Africa and timber back to Europe. Goes w/o saying, was taking days and skill to load all these floating timber with her cranes. Engine was a gorgeous Sulzer RND76 (76, if I remember well). Her last trip before rendered was epic, French then owner SNCDV had no clue were we would sail, before Koreans who bought her agreed to Lisbon. Remember an Officer was still devorating a huge piece of meat while we were to disembark 15mn later, replied me : "Those filthy Koreans, they don't eat anything but fish anyway." Our Captain and Chief Officer had to remain on board to help Korean Officers with her first trip. Was like if they were taken to their own burial. Ship did not sail very longer in asian management, soon scrapped.

2. KS5N

KS5N Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of my old ships are razor blades. One (the Marine Electric) sits at the bottom of the Atlantic.
    A handful are still running.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KS5N

KS5N Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved the break bulk and bulkers. At least you got some port time, even if it wasn't always in one of the world's garden spots. Worked hard, then went ashore and played hard. Turnarounds got so fast that it became just work and no play. When I started seeing junior officers coming out who were younger than my own kids, I knew it was time to retire. I never regretted the decision.

PU2OZT likes this.