And on the airstrip

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jun 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KD9KSO

KD9KSO Ham Member QRZ Page

As a pilot, my first choice for a new home would be at the end of a commercial airport runway. About 100 yards from the end left or right side.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Come visit, we are just about under the pattern of Northeast Philadelphia Airport. Daily service is business jets and private pilots, but it's fun when the Confederate Air Force comes to town. B-24/B-25's flying by. P-51's in formation.
    PNE is also the service field when blimps arrive. They just drone overhead. Fun watching them land.

4. KL7AJ

5. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember, the political correctness police have struck. It is now the Commemorative Air Force.

6. N0LOV

N0LOV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard it actually develops it's own weather patterns which includes rain.....?

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Hangar 1 does get it's own weather... Could easily see it when we could fly super ultra light rubber band airplanes inside. Currents and thermals, oh my! Not sure about condensation.

Well, that was in 2000 when the panels covered it. Presently, it is just the aluminum structure and open to the weather....

8. KL7AJ

When we were kiddos, Moffett field was open on most weekends to U-control flying, My dad and brother and I misspent a lot of weekends there. :)

9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you didn't go inside Hanger 1?

Used to be a u-control field in just about every town! Now it's tough to find a place for gliders, and even more difficult for powered planes.

At least we don't have to listen to whiny buzzy .049s. I miss my .35s and .60s a little.

10. KL7AJ

Actually, we DID go inside Hangar 1 (This was in the mid 60s). Although I had mainly .049s, my dad did have a few ancient .2 and .3 "knuckle busters."