And now they want to take part of 2 meters..... (WRC 2023 proposal)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Jun 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hum so I missed the Data not voice part, thanks N3HGB. So they want to send texts messages and email over a winlink for airplanes idea?

And I heard about the ham chat pilots use on 122.75 and 123.45 and others in Wes Oleszewski' s book "Invisible Evil"

2. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Where's the ARRL on this? This would suck big time.

N4QX, KI4AX and AC0GT like this.
  3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure how that changes things. There is still the possibility of Amateurs buying any kind of new airband radios that come along to play with in this shared band. That is unless...

The proposal is for Amateurs to still retain use of this band. If this means losing in completely then they should expect a fight. There's a lot of time and money invested in this band by many licensed Amateurs and by many radio manufacturers, I doubt they will be chased off the band easily.

4. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

ah, study coexisting, ok I am a lot less worried now,

thanks for posting the actual proposal text.

5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

call ARRL HQ and as to speak with Spectrum Defense. You can make a donation if you want :)

indeed, that part of ARRL could pick up the pace; they need to do regular communication, say quarterly, about threats and intrusions on each ham band (yes there are many, on all bands), and what they; are doing about it. It is really hard to find out what the Spectrum defense folks are up to,

6. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The users of 2 m can be roughly divided into the "serious" or "weak signal" user group, and the "Baofeng crowd"
    In Region 2, the latter group mostly use the band segment above 146 MHz so they would not be affected,
    and the members of the "serious" group are mostly in their 70s and will be SK or in retirement homes before reallocation
    realistically could be implemented.

This is another of the amateur radio related problems that in the words of one lawyer at our regulator:

"Eventually will be resolved by itself ..."

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

In one sense we really brought this on ourselves, use it or lose it.
    Losing everything under 146.0 MHz is a bigger mess than you might think. The #1 biggest user of 2 meters around here, and I suspect most of the USA, is APRS on 144.39. The rest of the band might be dead quiet for days, but I can't think of 144.39 being quite for longer than maybe 30 seconds around here. I think there is still the occasional packet radio holdout on 145.1 (iirc) too besides for the weak signal/SSB modes. So redoing the band to move everything up will generate an epic fight with the repeater owners their now. Sure the repeater might go weeks or months between anyone talking on it, but go to take it away and then all of a sudden it is critical to the survival of life as we know it.

K8XG likes this.
  8. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

I scan the spectrum from about 136 mhZ to about 174 mhZ quite often. Not very much activity above and below the 2 meter ham band either. Why not use that space for Aeronautical Mobile service?

I can not comment about other areas of the country. But, around here there is very little (no) activity from 136 to 144 and from 146 to 174 mhZ.

Dan KI4AX

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

The maritime mobile service, various public safety radio services, Amtrak, every other railroad, low orbit weather satellites, the NOAA weather service, and every person in Walmart with a MURS radio disagree!

• 118–137 MHz: Airband for air traffic control, AM, 121.5 MHz is an emergency frequency
    • 137–138 MHz Space research, space operations, meteorological satellite[8]
    • 138–144 MHz: Land mobile, auxiliary civil services, satellite, space research, and other miscellaneous services
    • 144–148 MHz: Amateur radio 2-meter band
    • 148–150 MHz: Land mobile, fixed, satellite
    • 150–156 MHz: "VHF business band," public safety, the unlicensed Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS), and other 2-way land mobile, FM
    • 156–158 MHz VHF Marine Radio; 156.8 MHz (Channel 16) is the maritime emergency and contact frequency.
    • 159.81-161.565 MHz railways 159.81–160.2 are railroads in Canada only and is used by trucking companies in the U.S.
    • 160.6–162 Wireless microphones and TV/FM broadcast remote pickup
    • 162.40–162.55: NOAA Weather Stations, narrowband FM, Weatheradio Canada Stations
    • 174–216 MHz television channels 7–13 (VHF-Hi), known as "Band III" internationally. A number of DTV channels have begun broadcasting here, especially many of the stations which were assigned to these channels for previous analog operation.
    • 174–216 MHz: professional wireless microphones (low power, certain exact frequencies only)
    • 216–222 MHz: land mobile, fixed, maritime mobile,[8]
    • 222–225 MHz: 1.25 meters (US) (Canada 219–220, 222–225 MHz) amateur radio
    • 225 MHz and above (UHF): Military aircraft radio, 243 MHz is an emergency frequency (225–400 MHz) AM, including HAVE QUICK, dGPS RTCM-104

10. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate aeronautical mobile on 146.52 quite regularly. Perhaps I shouldn't encourage any further such activity.

BTW, an interesting formula for calculating distance to the horizon:

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

It's quite possible to communicate with a surface station (mobile) over 100 miles away from 8500 feet up with 1 Watt.