And now they want to take part of 2 meters..... (WRC 2023 proposal)

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN3W, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:37 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sort of limping along half dead. 144.390 MHz is pretty busy with APRS and the numerous repeaters around me sometimes might have a few people on. I would guess overall use around here is about 10% of what it once was at best.
    I cannot imagine how this would work though. 2 meter radios are so common all over the world the potential for interference would be HUGE. The existing aircraft band is blessed in that no one is making $20 118-138 MHz AM HTs and selling them on Amazon. I cannot ever recall QRM while flying that was from a non-aircraft source. Worst thing is usually a stuck mike.

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

German reading practice:

"Messen ist Wissen..."

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I took a survey last night of what is going on locally here.

In our Town 2-meters Wires-X repeater on a local sky scraper is going on all day on the America links and other Rag Chew reflectors. We even have some non-digipeated 144.880 traffic on APRS and 144.390 is yes a constant signal, much like FT8 on HF, hi hi.

One 2 meter FM repeater gets used on off each day, 6 others used very little except one other for the ARES traffic net at 6:30 each evening, "checking in, no traffic" mostly heard.
    Simplex has 3 different groups talking on 146.430, 460, and 535. 440 has 3 digital modes, YSF and DMR working most all day, D-star on REF30C now and then.
    One 440 very well heard FM repeater on the same skyscraper as Wires-X that the young folks call the "Gabbing Geezers" channel; yes I talk on that one as well as the digital modes.

We have one 220 simplex group talking that I know of. We have a VHF contest winning champ in town, and folks talk on 2 meter SSB round tables as well. 6 meter FM simplex, and SSB about once a week, FM 6 meter & 220 repeater not used that much, but once in awhile. 900mhz is getting more active as a local ham sold a boat load of low cost Moto GTX 900 radios to get action on that band.

But the 80s local morning drive and evening drive chat are mostly gone, except on the Digital rooms where nationwide folks are gabbin' on the way home.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No idea what happened in New Zealand. In the U.S., I do know how it came out. Ham radio was saved from an ignominious death. ;)

KJ4VTH, K6CLS, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  5. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hum.. We all need to follow N2RJs path and use our radios much more on VHF then some do.. I know back in the 90s all the 2 meter repeaters around here were busy with activity.. Almost constantly. They started adding more 440 repeaters.. Some as backups and some as an alternative.. But there are plenty.. And there is also Simplex..
    I do APRS on 3 vehicles, a Home APRS Weather station. 3 VHF Packet Radios.. lots more. I also have several HTs to talk on local repeaters Most days they are quiet.. Seems 440 is where everyone has went around here..
    I might see if I can spark an interest besides the Sunday night net.. Maybe a casual meeting on the air while out and about no matter where we are headed.. Interest may be hard to muster now a days over the past.. But if more people knew of this. Maybe they would grab a radio.. Spread the word..

73 jerry n9lya

N3AWS and K8XG like this.
  6. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Aeronautical mobile? really? I believe region 1 is already using 12.5 KHz channel spacing in the regular 118 to 136 MHz voice band. This makes no sence to me at all.
    Tom WA4ILH

7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It just dawned on me, why not 9600 ARDOP to backbone APRS messages, not the flood of position reports but the APRS message, text and Email.
    A nice low cost ARDOP hardware modem is available as a Raspberry Pi Hat.

8. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

8.33 kHz for a while now.

9. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear crickets on 2M in the very densly populated NY/NJ area. Pick up the damn radio and use it! Or lose it! It's not too late!

And those bashing France and bringing up WWII and all- you need to learn history- if it wasn't for France siding with the colonies during the Revolutionary War, the United States would not exist except as a British colony... at which point we would be in a much better position to fart in their general direction (being actual English K-niggits).

K4KYV likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

“Use it or lose it” also applies to some other things besides frequency allocations.

Here in the Western US, generally water law says that your water rights must be put to beneficial use, and can’t just be wasted. Your water right can be taken away if it’s not used.

Even land has a related aspect. If you don’t take steps to protect your rights and negligently allow someone else to use your land without permission, then they can become the owner after some years via an adverse possession claim because they are using it and you aren’t.

And of course, your body and mind are your most important possessions, and they definitely must be exercised regularly or lost.