+ and _ not so?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9IUX, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC9IUX

KC9IUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I was told by a bud who is an engineer that + and - are mislabeled.

He told me that a positive charge has an electron deficit and vice versa.

Is this true?

2. EI8DRB

EI8DRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. However, in the case of such things are batteries and power supplies, I relate the + and - to the potential difference rather than the actual charge. It makes sense this way :)

3. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KC9IUX

KC9IUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. That helps a great deal.

5. K2XC

K2XC Guest

Sure the side that has less electrons has a more positive potential than negative. I was trained that current travels negative to positive in all electronics courses. That has worked fine for me troubleshooting circuits and building them. It’s just a way to teach electronic theory since we can not see it flow...:)

6. W4HAY

W4HAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course! Electrons carry a negative charge, so a deficit relative to the other terminal would result in a positive charge. Incidentally, the whole negative/positive concept was arbitrarily established way back in the early days of static electricity.

7. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Story I got: That was Benjamin Franklins doing. He got it wrong; they didn't correct it when the error was discovered because they would have had to recall and rewrite all the books in existence at the time.

8. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

This matter was very confusing to me as a beginning electrical engineering student. (Note: my degree is in photography, not EE. That should tell you something!)

In practice, electrons flow from negative to positive. In theoretical calculations, the kind EE types do, current is said to flow from positive to negative. If you think about electron flow like a hands-on technician, your math will be wrong.

9. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Chris, remember the "left hand rule" ? ? ? Or was that the "right hand rule" ? I'M SOOOO CONFUSED ! :eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

10. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was taugth about electronic and conventional flow as well.
    The teacher told us to think of conventional current (from positive to negative) in a manner of a "hole flow" instead of an electron flow. Since the electron that moves from the negative to the positive leaves an empty "hole" quickly replaced by another electron, one can easily imagine the "hole" flowing in the opposite direction than the electron :)

It worked :D

For everyday normal work, I use "hole current" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.