ad: Schulman-1

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AA7BQ, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. AC2NT

AC2NT Ham Member QRZ Page

That must be the same prince of Nigeria who had contacted me, also.

Hey... maybe it's a Nigerian Millionaire's Prince Club :D

2. KA0AAM

KA0AAM Ham Member QRZ Page

One other thing about Paypal. . ..

If you sell a boat or something in Craigs List, and they pay with PayPal:

the buyer picks up that boat, you shake hands. . . and off they go. . .

Next day the money is gone in PayPal. . .they claim they never got the merchandise. . .

You are now out of your money AND the boat.

3. AC2NT

AC2NT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dwayne,

Paypal or no PayPal. Whatever transaction you make, you go to your computer and draft up a bill of sale. I.E., what the item's agreed price at the time of a sale. Then you state the condition, and whatever other details that describe your item. The buyer comes over, letter is presented. If agreed, then signed. Funds are exchanged, and the buyer hauls away item(s) away. Simple, and it covers your a** as a seller.
    DONE DEAL!
    Did this many times. If you're dumb enough, then you'll be had. There are a lot of creeps out there that want to get over you. The easier and quicker, the better for them.
    It's unfortunate, but that's the evil way of buying and selling stuff that this world has come to.

Chris - AC2NT.

4. K4ZLK

K4ZLK Ham Member QRZ Page

Several years ago I made a purchase on Ebay and paid with Paypal. The merchandise never arrived and I got the "I've been in the hospital" bit from the seller and waited. When it became obvious that the goods weren't coming I asked Paypal for a refund. "Sorry, the seller closed their account". Paypal protection isn't absolute. Paypal takes no risk, it's still up to you to be prompt in requesting a refund.

5. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Radio Mart is still doing business on QTH.com. He has display ads and the whole bit.

Hal

6. AE5WT

AE5WT Ham Member QRZ Page

I typically like to ask the Scammer to send me a picture of them "Holding a Fish" just to see if they will. - Mike, AE5WT

7. VE3OYJ

VE3OYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unbelievable what some people will do...

8. WA1DF

WA1DF Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job and with such style!!
    I checked the routing number of that bank account and it did refer to the bank mentioned, but the address in MA was not right. Another clue.
    Also, the email headers (hidden by most email clients) can also reveal details of where they come from. You can also check their ip addresses to see if they are on a spam watchlist...

Thanks again for your hard work.
    Don

p.s. Don't be surprised if all this stolen money ends up in the middle east somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. K5MSK

K5MSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Apologies for the late reply. But just be aware, email headers can be easily faked - all except the very last one. And an IP address could very well be a VPN connection that misleads you to another country. There are plenty of online services that will do both. A crafty hacker could even route an email through multiple VPNs, bouncing through several countries before hitting an open relay email server, to hide their tracks.

Great write-up, AA7BQ. Thanks for sharing.

Michael

10. W3CSA

W3CSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am not buying or selling any items on this site at this time. Some one is using my callsign (W3CSA) to purchase an item. I have nothing for sale and am not interested in making any purchases at this time. BEWARE of any one using my Call sign --W3CSA-- I am good in the call sign listings and my proper e-mail address is listed. Thanks and BE Careful!!! 73 Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.