Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AA7BQ, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Although the QRZ.com policy does say not to use a tiered pricing scheme.

KA8GMD likes this.
  2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ Guest

Sorry for your disappointment, but I can't remember what you posted, and I don't recall deleting any comments from you. Perhaps you could reiterate your point. Praise isn't required.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great story, almost hilarious.

4. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KK4RSV

KK4RSV Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish they would too Eric. I have passed quiet a few deals because it was cash or MO. If they don't accept paypal, I will only pay cash in person.

6. WA1KBQ

WA1KBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Paying with your credit card through Paypal will give you the last resort option of a chargeback if it comes down to that.

Ask the seller to put something on top of the equipment and send you a picture will confirm whether he has it in his possession.

7. AC2NT

AC2NT Ham Member QRZ Page

Better still, ask the seller to send you a picture of his FCC license along with his mug in it. And, I don't mean his coffee mug. LOL.

8. WA1SHM

WA1SHM Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent work Fred...Cancel Patient indeed..

9. KA0CSL

KA0CSL Ham Member QRZ Page

It isn't just that easy. If you sell a lot of gear and use PayPal and you go over 20k in sales or 200 transactions. You’ll receive a 1099K. Then you have to deal with the IRS trying to tax you on your personal sales. They insist you do a schedule C claiming you’re a business. If you’re on Social Security or disability this can really adversely affect your life! It would seem like 20k is allot of money but it doesn't take very many ham radio sales to get into hot water. I have been collecting rigs since I was 13 years old I am 51 now. I have been selling off a bunch of my collections to pay bills. Usually at a substantial loss. I was selling LED's to help hams with burned out lamps on rigs. I was making less than 3.25 per sale after ebay and paypal. It caused me to hit the magic 200 number and got a 1099K. Now I am faced with telling the IRS I have sold my own stuff and the stuff like the diodes was such a small amount it ended up costing me more to file as a business then the chump change I made. They don't seem to want to accept that it was my personal stuff and hobbie sales to help other folks out. Even if you don't get a 1099K you must claim any and all sales you make. If you don't and the IRS finds out you can imagine what can and will happen to you. Therefore as a seller I can tell you I would prefer not using PayPal to avoid the hassle!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

The Nigerian Prince who I'm helping move millions of dollars out of his country says you have to watch out for online scammers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.