ad: Hamcrazy-1

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AA7BQ, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ Guest

KI7PMQ and K7RHT like this.
  2. WK4WK

WK4WK Ham Member QRZ Page

The female on the DL sure looks alot like Sally Jessy Raphael ...LOL...Good work and thanks

3. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And may the Swartz be with you! Thanks Fred.

4. VA3DDW

VA3DDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great job exposing this deadbeat, thanks ...Don VA3DDW

5. WV3E

WV3E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story, Fred! I sometimes wonder how people get sucked into these scams. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

One thing users should consider is PayPal. Scammers hate it because it's difficult to defraud. I use it exclusively because it provides both the buyer and seller protection. I've had to use buyer protection before (not for purchases on the Zed, but rather on a popular auction site) and it works wonders. Ship the broken junk back to the seller and once PayPal receives proof of delivery, they extract your refund, all without the seller's cooperation. To me, the peace of mind I get is worth their 3% fee. I wish more hams would accept PayPal.

6. KD7SKY

KD7SKY Ham Member QRZ Page

From what I was just reading in the PayPal policies document, it appears that you don't get PayPal Seller Protection for non-Ebay transactions (Sections 9.1, 9.5). If that's the case (assuming I understood the policy correctly), then I would be hesitant to accept PayPal for a non-Ebay transaction.

Whenever I do a ham radio-related transaction on QRZ, QTH, Craigslist, etc. I require a telephone conversation. That one requirement alone has saved me from being scammed several times (although in each case I was already suspicious).

7. KD7SKY

KD7SKY Ham Member QRZ Page

A quick correction regarding PayPal Seller Protection: My previous post was based on reading an older version of the User Agreement. The updated one (July 2014) does not have the Ebay-only stipulation. However, in reviewing the updated agreement, I came across something else that should be of interest to anyone selling merchandise and accepting PayPal as a payment option.

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

If I'm reading the above section correctly, I'm in violation of the PayPal User Agreement if I sell something on QRZ, QTH, or anywhere else and tell buyers that if they use PayPal they have to pay the fees; and I can't charge a higher price for PayPal purchases over cash purchases. Someone in this thread lamented the fact that many hams don't accept PayPal as a payment option. Those hams have probably read the "no surcharges" section of the PayPal User Agreement and as a result have opted not to use PayPal as a seller. For some of them, that $30 they save on a $1000 sale is worth waiting for a cashier's check in the mail. For me, if I'm selling something online, I want the transaction completed as quickly as possible, and I'll use PayPal to facilitate that. For me it's worth the 3% fee.

WB4LSS and KD2IIN like this.
  8. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently my comments about avoiding getting ripped off weren't welcome here, or I didn't praise the original post. My post was deleted. Thanks Fred.

Jim -W8LGZ

9. WV3E

WV3E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you, Jody. It seems petty to be worried about a $30 fee on a $1000 transaction. For those who are, consider this... There's nothing in the PayPal agreement prohibiting the offer of a discount for cash or cash equivalent. As with most legalese, it comes down to semantics.

Eric/WV3E

10. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Recent thread on the subject:
    http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?446115-PayPal-fees-at-someone-else-s-expense-Bad-idea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.