ad: elecraft

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K1RCT

K1RCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for looking out for us Fred. I know you also have to keep QRZ represented in the best possible light but one can not refute you are looking out for us Hams.

I have and will consider QRZ dot com a High Value Website.

Kudos Sir.

K7IWW, KJ4YEV and K3PNI like this.
  2. WA7HAA

WA7HAA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job Fred, and thanks for exposing this cheat. It is rather fun when you can engage these guys and string them along. I have done this on numerous occasions when I have gotten e-mails telling me that there is some large amount of money waiting for me to claim. These guys will identify themselves as "Special Agents" from the FBI, and other equally ridiculous titles. They must get enough suckers to keep them in business.

K7IWW likes this.
  3. KA1TY

KA1TY Ham Member QRZ Page

New isn't an option for all of us.

And I'm young enough, at 41, to have grown up with the internet. I can navigate it fairly well.

I was lucky enough to not only buy used from a good guy, but from a GREAT guy. He's been very generous, helpful, and friendly. I enjoy just emailing back and forth with him, and I'm grateful b/c w/o him I wouldn't have made my first HF contact the other day. :)

So, beware of the bad guys, but remember there are good ones too.

K7IWW and AD5IN like this.
  4. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work, sir.

5. K0XKX

K0XKX Ham Member QRZ Page

One additional step you should take. Contact the bank, the person who belongs to the account is either an unwitting mule, or the account has been hacked. Rest assured any funds were immediately transferred overseas, where they cannot be recovered. There is always a chance that there is something there, and at the least the account shut down, which will slow them down.

K7IWW likes this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Fred! Time heals all wounds but, time also wounds all heals. Karma is an interesting thing... this scammer will get what's coming to him (or her).

Hanging is too good for someone like this, especially someone who preys on those w/o deep pockets. My disabled brother was conned out of $1500 by someone he thought was a friend. :mad:

I agree but, TMI on the nose hair trimmer. ;)

7. WO2X

WO2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent write-up Fred!

One of the big red flags was not willing to have it picked up in person.

Dave, wo2x

K7IWW likes this.
  8. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont think Radio-Mart has anything to with this except he had the pic listed at one time or another and this clown stole it . He prolly quit selling on Epay just because of the Epay :) ..
    Dave N8DC

9. KA0SOG

KA0SOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done Sir. May he rot 'in the big hospital of his health being bad so his feet fall off twice'

10. K1KA

K1KA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred

I too had a scam attempt last year. It is interesting since the stolen call sign was also in Massachusetts, and followed some of the same patterns of response. I had posted a WTB ad for a particular antenna. The add was specific that I wanted an older version not currently offered. The respondent said he had exactly what I wanted and it was only 9 months old. I was very suspicious at that point but decided to continue the conversation. Being an antenna, I asked a lot of questions and also requested a photo. One was sent with the response that the item would be shipped to me. Since he was less than 100 miles from me I suggested that I come see it. He kept pushing the shipping part of the transaction and I just back off. Later on I found the same photos he sent me on a UK web site.

Since this guy was also in MA, it might be of interest if anyone is doing some further investigation. I still have all the email exchanges which I can send to you or someone else investigating this scammer.

Dave
    K1KA

11. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank You Fred, that was well executed and a fun read, and very educational.

12. WX5DL

WX5DL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was once contacted via email by a Nigerian Prince whose father had suffered an untimely death at the hands of political rivals. He somehow knew he could trust me and wanted to deposit a very large sum on money in my bank account as a way of "getting it out of the country" before it was stolen by unscrupulous, evil men. He was willing to split the money with me 50/50 for my assistance.

If we could get these two together, the Nigerian Prince could deposit his fortune in Mr. Batutis' account, allowing him to receive his "cancel treatment", foot surgery or whatever else modern medicine can provide AND he gets to keep his radio. The Nigerian Prince gets his millions out of Nigeria and has a new "trustworthy friend" in the USA. Talk about a win-win situation!

13. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

This guy isn't in MA, but his bank account mule is.

14. K4ECD

K4ECD Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent stuff Fred! Those spoofed photos cracked me up!!!

A clear notice to all that every item for sale should be investigated from head to toe before any offer to purchase is made.

The vast majority of items for sale are NOT scammers, but the few that do have similar patterns.

Here are some take-aways:

1. Prevent New accounts from listing items for sale IF: (conditions below)
    a. signed up for less than 3 months
    b. with less than 15* VERIFIED HF/VHF contacts (damn that makes it REALLY hard to spoof your account)

*I chose 15 because many users don't log - but really - if you have ham equipment to sell - you've been in the hobby!!!!

Those two measures alone will make life hell for a spammer.

2. Strongly encourage Paypal. It has tremendous buyer AND seller protection.

3. Selling using an Alias account should be blocked (maybe it is already).

15. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Surgery

I think that we could take up a collection for his surgery. After all, a simple castration should not cost very much....

K7IWW likes this.