Anatomy of a low frequency aviation radio beacon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Aug 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Of VORTACS, the ones maintained by the military (like McGuires) have the red band, the one at Coyle field near McGuire (maintained by the FAA) doesn't. Pretty much around the country that's how they are marked for some reason.

I do know that it is easier to tell people to look for the giant bowling pin when describing how to get to the VORTAC on a base (like when the A/C or civil engineer guys need to repair something). :)

Thanks
    Joel

2. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I used to see something like this in a field on Selma Road south of Springfield Ohio when I was a kid. Not sure if its still there or not though. It was a single wire Marconi, as I remember.

3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The 72-76 MHz band still has lots of other users. Marker beacons are only on 75.0 MHz. There is a small guard band of about 74.8-75.2 for aircraft receiver interference protection. If they got rid of all the marker beacons it would not change the rest of the band.

4. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll have to elaborate on "Aircraft Receiver Interference Protection"

Marker Beacon Receivers are just about gone. (no one uses them anymore) What is there to protect?

(also, You wouldn't happen to know Marty Consodine would you?)

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as the FAA/military keeps one Marker Beacon in operation, the frequency/band will remain allocated for aviation use, and be zealously protected from illegal interference.

6. W7IMM

I haven't flown an instrument approach that required an OM/IM in more than 25 years.....
    Won't be long, they'll all be gone. You can hardly find them now.

7. KA0HCP

Well, since the FAA has not announced a termination date for Marker Beacons, we must assume they will be around for a long time.

8. W7IMM

I doubt there'll be a formal announcement. Most of the current approaches I found with OM or LOM depicted on the chart had another way to ID the position.

It wasn't that long ago LOM, MM and IM were indicated on certain Seattle Tacoma (SEATAC) airport approaches. They didn't announce anything when they eliminated those navaids from the approach charts. They just disappeared off the charts in a subsequent later revision.

Don't expect any fanfare when it happens.

9. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I poorly worded that. A guard band protects receivers from interference from stations on nearby frequencies.
    Not a relative. Never heard of him.

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. KA0HCP

I did just perform some checks on several major airports as well as some old haunts, and indeed, they no longer have any marker beacons!

Given their utter simplicity, require no pilot action to select or operate, and the fact they can be used without any communications with the ground, they are/were an ideal device.

Definitely losing safety backup without them.

old fuddy-duddy wanders off....

YOSUA likes this.