ANAN SDR input SWR

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K5RWD, Aug 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5RWD

K5RWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed that these ANAN's (or mine at least) seem to have matching issues between them and hf amplifiers (tube type). I have tried an AL-80b, Ten-Tec Centurion, SB-220, SB-221, Clipperton L and all of them do the same thing. My ANAN still works with them, but it present about a 2.0 SWR condition and flickers the red warning light on the ANAN. I also get less power out of the amplifers due to this mismatch.

Yes, these same condition exist even into a dummy load or another antenna.

I could use a tuner in between but I'm wondering why this is happening on such an expensive radio. None of my other radios (Icom 746 Pro, Kenwood TS-850S) have an SWR problem to these amplifers.

Thanks for any ideas you may have,

Darwin
    K5RWD

2. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jumper cable?

K5RWD likes this.
  3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Darwin, you need to positively confirm (or not) that with a known good dummy load connected via a known good cable, that the Anan still reads a high VSWR.
    If it does, then it has a fault.

Frank

K5RWD likes this.
  4. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 100 had erratic swr readings when it was new. There were some reported issues with grounding caused by the thick layer of paint on the panels. The issue went away after I cleaned the paint from under the screw heads on the front and rear panels.

I was hoping Apache Labs would stick with the stainless cabinets used on the 8000 and early 7000mk2.

Once you solve the swr issue go through the PA settings and make sure the rig is making 100 watts on each band. My 100 was close but the 7000 had low power with the original setting in power sdr and Thetis.

K5RWD likes this.
  5. K5RWD

No I'm using the same jumper as the other rigs.

KC2RGW likes this.
  6. K5RWD

I have done all of that. I can swap out the exact same cable connected to the ANAN to another one of my HF rigs and they don't have an SWR problem.

7. K5RWD

Well for one, the ANAN 200D will not quite get 100 watts on some bands. 10 meters is like 50-60 watts max. Some of the lower bands you can calibrate for 100. The connection chassis ground issue was resolved, it's got a good ground. I'm leaning toward and RF issue. I'm going to loan it to a friend of mine to see if he has the same trouble with it.

8. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also suspect an RF issue from what you’ve described.

K5RWD likes this.
  9. K5RWD

I have let my friend borrow the radio and it's doing the same thing to him. I believe its either an issue with the radio or with the software.

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is he using a different PC with a fresh software install?

K5RWD likes this.