Analog Transceivers- high end Candidates ICOM, Yaesu & Kenwood

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Sep 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

West Mountain ClearSpeech speaker is same as AM COM. How many do you want to buy new? They are please to sell you their product.

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. N8FVJ

Are you NUTS. I am not going to an audiologist and spend $500 to satisfy your inquiry. But, best I can explain it is imagine going to a very noisy restaurant and you are having conversation with others at the table. When I was young I would not hear the background noise at all. Now, I cannot rid the background noise and it is difficult to understand others at the table. I know others have stated they have same issue. Reception background noise in SSB causes same issue. Some radios have higher than 2.1 or 2.4 kHz band pass that helps and some have a quieter receiver. End of my comments on the subject.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Conclusions:

1. YOU have a hearing deficit
    2. The problem is NOT "SDR USB audio quality" it is a problem of you distinguishing USB audio from background noise. (This is a common problem for those with hearing deficits).
    3. The radios are not at fault

West Mountain Radio Audio Products
    http://www.westmountainradio.com/audio_ware.php

"I don't need reading glasses/hearing aids/dentures/cane/chauffeur"
    -Vanity thy name is old age- :)

4. N8FVJ

However, you fail to recognize some radios perform better with my condition. You would not possibly know because you do not have the issue. So, why would you even comment as an all knowing authority.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do you assume that your hearing deficit and personal opinion makes the radios at fault?

Again, facts man, facts!

[Edit you have posted a screed with so many errors that it falls apart at the seams.]

6. N8FVJ

The radios are not at fault as about anyone has no issues hearing the radios, but some simply perform better with my hearing. Now, what is so hard to understand? It is a fact and you are stating I hear no difference. Why do so many hams make comments the TS-830S has the best audio they ever heard. All those hams are wrong too according to you. According to you all radios sound the same. That is ridiculous.

7. N8FVJ

I looked up your call sign and you had a picture of you listening to a National NC-183D. And you cannot hear the difference in-between the old National NC-183D and a modern radio? You are acting like a troll.

8. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Athan,

thanks for comment.
    Well we will see how the ABS front panel will behaves in the future. Some of older radios from known manufacturers with similar solution served OK for years...

After posting few info about I got several emails requesting more details about the new transceiver RGO ONE coming on the market…
    I compiled all detailed info to the three parts articles here:
    http://ok1rp.blogspot.com

73 - Petr, OK1RP

KA0HCP and SV2HZF like this.
  9. OK1RP

OK1RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I posted this article somewhere else on QRZ but hope it not boring to post here also...

Last evening I found the chance to bring my new RGO ONE to our contest station in order to make first short test on the air.

I have to say that I am impressed how the receiver is quiet. Compare to other radios and mainly SDR architecture radios the RGO ONE
    receiver has smooth and low noise. The VBF is very effective and nice feature for close in signals.

I had only short time yesterday evening so I tested it quickly on 40m then 80m band. As I found the pile-up for T6AA on 80m I had chance also to testing the RIT/XIT features etc. It is easy to manage and operate the RIT/XIT on RGO ONE.

Big surprise came after switching to 40m where that nite was hearable OTHR intruder at around 7005kHz. I tried to switch antenna to our
    contesting Icom IC-756PROIII quickly to found that OTHR occupied most of the CW portion in 40m band with over S9+20dB wideband mess. Even with 500Hz filter on Icom I was not able to hear any signals on 40m CW band as 30kHz far from the center I still had S8 wideband noise.
    After switching to RGO ONE the surprise happened. Of course the OTHR blasted to S9+30dB at 7005kHz and covered wide portion of CW band but when I switched the VBF ON and reduced it down to 200Hz then I noticed that when I tuned up over the 7015kHz the wideband mess gone and I was able to operate and make QSO without any problem or QRM. Amazing!

I did not make video unfortunately as my phone battery lasted exactly at that time when I need it... but I make QSO 15kHz away from the OTHR intruder with VBF set to 300Hz and I was not disturbed at all...

I had no more time to test it yesterday evening so more tests will come later.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

A Freudian slip?

KA0HCP likes this.