ad: Schulman-1

An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you ever considered that no matter the alleged justification, intentional interference is very much in violation of the rules?

Have you further considered that the contester being interfered with is more often than not an innocent party, not the original lid who caused the butt hurt in the first place? In other words, the retaliation is often against the first ham the perpetrator comes across, regardless of whom actuall caused said butt hurt?

Two wrongs do not make a right. (Three lefts make a right, but this isn’t NASCAR)

KC3BZJ, AG5DB, W9BFZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's funny..... The night of THE win, I was in the cardiac ward. Watching them win the world series from a hospital room hooked up to monitors and IVs isn't the way I had envisioned it. I would have loved to have been in the telemetry room during that last play. Every television on the floor was tuned in. Definitely a night I wont ever forget.

W0VRA likes this.
  3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of a December Sunday afternoon a few years back, the Boss was recovering from some surgery (don’t worry, she turned out just fine... and still puts up with me). Every other TV in the hospital was tuned to the Steeler game... except hers. She was watching NCIS reruns on USA Network. Every few minutes, a nurse would stick his or her head in, and kindly offer to change the channel for the Boss, since something MUST be wrong,,, but she was never a big Steeler fan,. (Now if her mother had been in the room at the time, that TV would have been on the game!)

Little Miss Field Day finally saw a winning season, making the playoffs, and playoff victories for the Pirates. And all in the same year. A Pennant and a World Series win, well, I guess that was too much to hopeful. But it will happen one year, despite the Phelps, er, Nutting family.

At least we have the Stanley Cup as a consolation prize. Even if it’s just hockey.

W9BFZ likes this.
  4. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Down here in DC we have a bunch of President's Trophies. And Rocket Richard trophies. They're available for trade; all for one Stanley Cup....

:)

W4DMK likes this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if this helps any...
    IMG_0660.jpg

BTW, the next time you're in NatsPark, you should notice that in the concourse, behind home plate, there's a plaque honoring all the people working for the Nats at the time the stadium opened. My son's name is on it. Very cool!

KA3CTQ and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KE9EX

KE9EX Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's my TV the night of THE win.

20161102_235146.jpg 20161103_000847.jpg

W9BFZ likes this.
  7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked a few Set exercises over the years. I suck at handling traffic, but the guys that could really work the traffic and keep their minds focused on getting those messages right and passed to the right stations was the avid contesters of the group. I am not a contester, but have respect for those that are. Contesting really does use the same skill set that handling lots of traffic does. So I see value in the contest.

KC3BZJ likes this.
  8. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Eight pages and no one has suggested the obvious yet. If NATA focuses on awards you're missing a ton of opportunities on contest weekends, can't play net then contest. It's fairly easy to load up some spotting software if you really
    don't want to hunt on your own and with computer control of the radio it's point and shoot. It really isn't difficult to nail WAS in a weekend or less and DXCC isn't that much longer if you pick the right contests. I can name 3 contests that will get you WAS in CW, phone or digital.......Triple Play in 3 weekends on top of it. The traffic part of your net is probably like most, check in for the numbers.....no traffic, but I could be wrong about that.

WG7X likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

And you and your two friends Mr. Piss and Mr. Moan are together in many of your posts. Gee if it bothers you why not stop putting yourself through it?

10. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Which reminds me of this famous exchange between two hams:

Ham 1: "Why don't qrz.com contributors drink?"
    Ham 2: "Because it dulls the pain."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.