ad: wmr-1

An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You forgot where we are for a moment, didn't you?

KJ3N and K1FBI like this.
  2. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I didn't start ..:)

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This really IS a hobby for grumpy old men. Just look at how so many of these threads degrade into personal insults so quickly. I'm starting to think that some of you don't even use your radios anymore and just sit in the wings waiting for ANYONE to post ANYTHING so you can jump right in with the snide remarks.

KA0USE, G8ADD, WG7X and 5 others like this.
  5. K1FBI

Sounds like a group personal insult to me...just sayin' :p

But we are "grumpy old men" so we don't give a rat's behind about you're opinion..but thanks for sharing; hope you feel better.
    Next time tell us how you really feel.

WW2E and W4JHU like this.
  6. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I told you how I really feel I'd be booted off this site.

WG7X likes this.
  7. K1FBI

bwahahahaha-thatisag00d-one-20493454.png

8. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi again,

Sometimes it is crowded, and sometimes the band is full. If it already full and there's NO place to operate, well, then there's no net happing on that band that night. No net has ownership of a frequency.

Note, however, that the WARC bands never have contests. If you believe contests are the exclusive root of the challenges to the NATA net, then moving to a WARC band (when you have to) is the solution.

That's not been my experience, however, I can imagine trying to manage a net (with diverse signals) in the presence of QRM can be difficult. There's no guarantee of a clear frequency, and the best solutions are usually those that recognize that crowded conditions sometimes happen, and they have a plan for such.

True. Many operators. Of all kinds.
    And sometimes propagation, antenna directivity or even other QRM means a station simply can't hear you, even if you hear them. It happens.

That's up to the NATA net operators to decide if they wish to continue. I didn't suggest such a thing. I didn't say ham radio wasn't worth bothering with. Why say this?

Awesome! Just 3 years ago I was living in a city with an attic dipole. Yeah, its a challenge. And yes, we all have some responsibility to share our wonderful hobby.

That is in direct opposition to my own experience. Ham radio is generally an "old man" hobby and that causes some challenges when young folks explore it. But I've not seen that we (blanketly) disdain newcomers and innovations.

It is also my experience that those who have the largest investment in hardware are, without exception that I know of, STICKLERS for the rules and the respectful structure of ham radio - otherwise, if it were truly just a free-for-all, their investments become pretty worthless. They want a clean, happy, thriving ham radio environment. It is insulting and disappointing that you continue such broad accusations and stereotyping.

That's a choice you're making. Staying in the legal limits IS within the spirit. You just choose not to do it, and thus dismiss it as pointless. Are other NATA net members that are running amplifiers "pointless" and "out of the spirit"? C'mon.

You've cooked up quite a narrative there. But it explains where you are coming from at least.

73 sir - Jay

W4JHU and KC8VWM like this.
  9. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I really dislike contest, and causes me to leave the hobby for a year or so. Have Contester's ever considered they might be the reason for mischief with people trying to jam your signal and interfere?

K1OIK likes this.
  10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

um....

whut?

KC3BZJ, N6MEJ, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.