An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The UK is much farther north than Oklahoma.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just joking with Brian... I'm not sure why conditions at his location are better than they are here. The FoF2 should be lower for him than for us here, but I won't argue with his experiences. The ionosonde data from nearby stations here in the central US is quite clear. 60m isn't a reliable NVIS band here, and likely won't be for quite a while.

When you add to that the restrictions on centered QSOs on each channel, it's even less useful. But that's another aspect in which British operation on 60m is different from that here in the US.

N2EY likes this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I lived in northwestern Indiana, there were times, when it got up to 0-degrees F, that you felt like taking off your coat because of the heat wave! Having 37-degrees would have been warm weather!

Glen, K9STH

4. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

R Lee Ermey.jpg

The Real Burt...tell me that's not Burt

5. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

"An open letter to all DX contesters"

I'm Still trying to figure out what a "DX Contester" is (who the open letter was directed at). Is a DX Contester a:

1) Contester located in some DXCC entity other than the original poster?
    2) Contester that only logs DX contacts during a contest?

Please inform. Thank you. :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  6. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

KU4X likes this.
  7. W9BFZ

W9BFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Former Valpo/Portage resident... can confirm :)

8. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Difference is, Burt’s still alive

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

SM:

It was even worse in the "snow capital" of Indiana, LaPorte!

In college, during Christmas vacations (until I got married my junior year), I had to help my father by manning an oil truck delivering heating oil to houses and businesses. We would start like before 4:00 AM and it would be like 20-below zero when we got to the oil plant to fill the truck and like 21 or 22-below zero 20 minutes later when the truck was full. After delivering the oil to a number of houses, the truck would be empty and it was back to the oil plant about 5:30 AM. By that time, the temperature would be down to like 24 or 25-below!

I had a Mackinaw coat but my father would only wear a felt type jacket. When it got above zero, he would just wear a "wind-breaker"!

Although born and raised in LaPorte, I never really liked cold weather! That is one of the reasons that I went to Georgia Tech in Atlanta, Georgia, and remained in the south. Some of the other students would ask me why I just didn't go to Purdue. My stock answer was that it gets cold in West Lafayette!

Glen, K9STH

W9BFZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.