An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

3EY added to the "A holes piling on":p

N2EY, WZ7U and KP4SX like this.
  2. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't comment on today, I spent most of the day outdoors catching up on the gardening, but most days this month I have had NVIS QSOs on 60 metres, perhaps I am benefiting from some odd latitude effect. I tuned across the band twenty minutes ago, BTW, and heard three SSB and several CW and digital QSOs in progress. Just now I have been listening on 5.290 and have heard three beacons including GB3RAL, my nearest one, and now the beacon time slot has passed there is a faint SSB station and some CW started up. This at 2030 GMT, a couple of hours after sunset. The band isn't carrying the traffic that it could, but it is far from a write-off! I agree about the US rules being unhelpful, and over here Foundation and Intermediate licensees can't use the band which reduces traffic somewhat, but for all that the band is very useful, particularly in that it seems to work well in the middle of the day when 80 is temporarily dead and 40 is long.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's interesting, because 80m doesn't go dead over here in the daytime. So apparently the sun sprinkles more ionization on the European side of the northern hemisphere than it does the American side. :)

Looking at the actual sunspot data for the last few months, the days with more than zero sunspots are few and far between. It's going to be a while before that gets better, so I don't expect 60m to be reliable for high-angle contacts for quite a while. At least over here. ;)

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No bet. He only said in “this thread” which clearly does not rule out other threads.

N2EY likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OIK:

The Tennadyne T6 has a claimed forward gain of 5.1 dBi which means 3.0 dBd. Not quite as much gain as a 2-element Yagi but is, at least on paper, not a "bad" antenna. Therefore, you should have a decent signal on both 12-meters and 17-meters and that begs the question as to why you seem to hate those bands. Since many, who have disparaging comments about certain bands, do not have a decent antenna, it does lead to the thought that you did not have an antenna that actually works on those bands. Obviously, that conclusion was not correct!

Instead of "bad mouthing" the WARC bands, you should actually operate, from time to time, on those bands. If you don't hear anyone, then call CQ and actually put a signal on the band. Often, doing such does produce some activity.

I do have resonant antennas for all amateur radio bands from 160-meters through 70 cms (including the 222 MHz band) as well as equipment that can put out a signal on those bands. I do have my favorite bands and operate on those bands much more than on the other bands. However, I do not "bad mouth" any of the amateur radio bands. Frankly, "bad mouthing" an inanimate "thing" makes no sense to me!

Glen, K9STH

N2EY likes this.
  6. G8ADD

Or perhaps you guys use more power to overcome D region absorption!:) 80 doesn't close every day, but probably most days for a few hours and it closes much more often in summer than winter. Its worth mentioning that a number of SOTA activators over here like to use 60 because of its reliability, I use it myself with 5 watts SSB and a W3EDP antenna and expect to get several contacts each time I go out.

Isn't this discussion more fruitful than that of the Guild of Character Assassins!?;)

PS One 60m beacon that I just logged at 569 is HB9AW at 803 miles. Not NVIS of course, but illustrative that from here (IO92bk) I can work much of Europe at pretty well any time.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    WZ7U likes this.
  7. KK5JY

Right. ;)

I recently did some 80m NVIS daytime experiments with a ham about 100 miles away. He got down to 100mW, and I still had good copy on him. We would have gone lower, but his radio didn't have a lower power setting. :)

I have been checking D-layer maps regularly, and there hasn't been any 80m D-layer absorption in quite a while. The poles have a little bit of absorption, but even there it's limited to a dB or two down around 2MHz at most.

We're driving full speed into zero-SSN conditions. You'll learn to love 80m for your close-in contacts. :cool:

Have no fear, that conversation has moved to another thread. :rolleyes:

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not?

I have... We do a little thing called the FYBO from time to time. FYBO means "Freeze Your Buns Off" a small operating event AKA contest where points are given for the temperature at the operating position. Lower temps mean higher points.

So lets re-cap a bit just for sake of clarity.

You sit in front of a computer sending messages hour after hour.

So do contest operators.

You collect "likes".

Contest ops collect "points".

You make videos.

Contest operators make videos.

You respond to every message.

Contest operators respond to every call.

Are you certain that you are not a contest operator?

W4NNF, KP4SX, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  9. G8ADD

It had got pretty contemptible! Some of these threads are like panning for gold, pounds of dross have to get swilled away to reward you with a few grains of glitter!

10. KK5JY

That may often be true, but I guess I don't mind panning for the useful items. After all, it's no worse than a technical meeting at work. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.