ad: AbAuRe-1

An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_0130.JPG

K1FBI likes this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Was that one hell of a ballgame or what??!!
    I almost quit watching it when they we so far behind for so long. But I am a Cubs fan so I hung in there. Glad I did!!

W0VRA and W9BFZ like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WZ7U, K3XR and N2EY like this.
  4. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't you start a poll if it's poking at your curiosity ?

5. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh come on, character assassination is a traditional pastime here.
    :eek:

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do NOT believe that for one second. Your words tell a very different story. You frequently put down contesting and contesters in all sorts of ways, then deny it.
    How so?

Is there ever a time when all non-WARC HF "band segments" are wall-to-wall contesters, with no room for anything else? I think not.

Take 75 meters as an example. It's 400 kHz wide - 3600 to 4000. Even during CQ WW SSB, is the band ever completely full of contesters? Or even 75% full?

Nonsense. Utter and complete BS. 12 meters is usable when 10 is open, and often when 10 isn't. 17 meters is usable when 15 is open, and often when 15 isn't. And they both have voice subbands.

Have you ever actually tried those bands during a major contest? I think not!

What about digital modes - FT8, PSK31, plain old RTTY, and a pile of others? Any US ham with HF 'phone privileges below 25 MHz has data privileges too. Don't they count? They're all allowed on all of the WARC bands. Or is it only voice that matters?

There you go - putting down those who can do something better than you can. Your snide remarks and disrespect are clear.

I don't just build my homebrew stuff. I design it.

I've been homebrewing my HF rigs since before I had a license. I had to, because I could not afford new kits or manufactured stuff. Soon I found that I could build better gear than I could afford to buy (older used gear).

Designing and building decent CW HF receivers and transmitters isn't all that difficult, even with the technology of 50-60 years ago, if someone really knows how radios work. Getting the parts is more of a challenge, these days.

What takes more know-how is building transceivers, where one VFO controls receive and transmit frequencies simultaneously. Particularly multiband transceivers. The biggest issue is coming up with a heterodyne scheme that works well for both receiving and transmitting.

I designed and built my first multiband HF transceiver way back about 1980, using parts found at hamfests. The one I use now is its descendant, though its design is different. They're not "state of the art" by any means - but they do/did the job.

The main reason I went from separate receivers and transmitters to transceivers was.......CONTESTING. When doing search-and-pounce contesting, as I did for more than 10 years with separates, having to zero-beat the transmitter takes too much time and effort, resulting in a lower rate than with a transceiver. Much of my "useful talent" is the direct result of......CONTESTING.

And.....one of the reasons I have half-decent CW skills (I'm OK - there are plenty of others who are MUCH better than me) is.....CONTESTING.

Stop putting others down, Burt, and maybe you'll get some respect and cooperation.

N2SR likes this.
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of them do just that. Some do not have the net on major contest weekends either due to the QRM, or because those that run the net and many that check in are participating in the contest anyway.

N2EY likes this.
  8. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Where I have I ever said that I hate contests? If I do "in and out" postings you should be able to find one instance where I used the word hate as applied to contests, just one?
    I did use the term liar but have rethought that term and replaced it with inaccurate. Constant negative posts on contests? You must have missed where I mentioned numerous time where a contest club in Rhode Island has done many events for charity, also I have said contests have made ham equipment cheaper for all of us. How does that fit with your with your comment, "see your endless negative posts ?" As far as giving up my comments on contests, I should have said I will not initiate any further comments as I never meant I would not react to comments. That was my fault for not being clearer.

9. K1OIK

Tennadyne T6.
    Will you admit error now?

10. K1OIK

I have been on the WARC bands during contests.
    I put down others who can do something better than I can?
    1. Virtually all hams can contest better than I and people can text faster than I. Where have I put down someone who can do either better? I dislike contests, not the people that engage in them.
    2. You design, I cannot and I put you down?
    You are one thousand times the ham I am, too bad you minimize what little technical skills I have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.