An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC9SM

AC9SM QRZ Member QRZ Page

Or just a few weeks ago.

W4DMK likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Now I have a shoe for BOTH feet!

4. KW4TI

KW4TI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, frequently the NATA net can no longer operate during contests, no longer find a frequency regardless of frequent QSY even during contests, and often must close because it is unable to operate. Simply ignoring QRM simply seems to encourage more interference. Many operators don't even attempt to find if there's anyone on the frequency, they just launch into calling CQ, even if it is off by 1 kHz or even less for SSB. If we think Amateur Radio would be better off without nets like NATA net, perhaps we should do without. I am an Electrical Engineering university professor involved in educating students, though my opinions are my own. I do radio research for a living, and I try to interest young people in radio through JOTA and STEM. Maybe you're right that amateur radio is not worth bothering with! I find it quite pleasurable to model antennas, publish designs, even simple ones as are on my QRZ page. I have tried to come up with solutions for city dwellers that have few options for antennas, as its getting very hard to get into DXing because of the limitations on antennas, space, restrictions and covenants, etc., in addition to have a S7-S9 noise background in many places. But perhaps we should just cede interest in the subject to a few who learned it in the early decades of the last century, or those who have unlimited resources to dedicate to it. There's so much you can get on-line now, buying a pre-made microwave-frequency radio for $5 from e-bay! Why bother to make your own? Why learn to wind a balun or throw up a wire?

I grew up in the 80s building and dissecting my own 8-bit computers, so in some ways those early personal computers were the "ham radio" of my youth. Perhaps there's just something different for today.

My local ham club, RARS, are a bunch of great people, and is a very active club, but there are few young members. I, aged 44, am one of the YOUNGER members. One of the greatest pleasures I get as a ham is sitting with young people visiting during Field Day and making QSOs and showing them how to handle a pileup. So it's not like I don't like contesting. But amateur radio is a field that looks back and disdains newcomers and innovation. Every issue of QST looks like it could basically be Xeroxed from issues of the last 20 years. On top of all of this, someone trying to actually get on the radio and work is likely to find that the rules are just the law of the jungle, and the people with the biggest investment in hardware probably like it that way. I am not going to invest in a legal limit transmitter just to be heard over the noise, that seems rather pointless and out of the spirit of the Amateur Radio Service. A hundred watts used to be considered a lot of power and more than sufficient to work the world. But if the competitive spirit is taken to excess and kills of amateur radio, well, there will be nothing left to celebrate over. I am sure there's many military and commercial services that want the bandwidth and many governments that would rather not have private citizens be able to engage in international communications outside of monitored networks.

I think amateurs today take what they have been given for granted, and that future generations are likely not going to have to the benefit of what earlier generations have enjoyed free use of, particularly because the resource is not valued. But I am angry because basically these nets may be getting to the point where they will not be able to operate more than they can, and so the existence of these nets to help newcomers will be a fait accompli.

Daniel Marks
    KW4TI

5. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks a heap!

6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me know when you sell your ham gear.
    Enjoy your other endeavors.

7. K1FBI

He is just feeling insecure and had to validate himself and his opinions.

W4JHU likes this.
  8. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether or no, I found his antenna information helpful.

9. K1FBI

That's great..maybe he should take a breath and not imply amateur radio may no longer be a worthwhile pursuit.

10. K1FBI

14.290 RIGHT NOW... Don't miss the OMISS WAS Awards Net.
    They are waiting with the fish in the barrel.
    22 two two bang bang gun shot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.