ad: KF7PMW-1

An open letter to all DX contesters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KW4TI, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be a "newbie." I remember (as a newbie myself then, even before licensed) such diatribes in the '50's. Probably in the 40's and 30's, for that matter.

2. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some apparently decided that for them.

3. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

And of course the malicious QRMers aren't frequency-flexible. In your dreams!

4. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Would they chase people?

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HLC:

Unfortunately, those relatively very few persons, who have some personal bias against certain other amateur radio operators, will follow those operators just to cause problems. Fortunately, most of the operators who do cause problems seem to confine themselves to a very few, specific, frequencies where a number of miscreants seem to "hang out".

As for newcomers wanting awards: Many do, just like a fair number of experienced operators work on acquiring awards. In the "goode olde dayes", the "Rag Chewers Club" award was the very first award that most operators earned. This was for having a QSO that lasted for more than 30-minutes and was "awarded" by the ARRL for free. Then, the ARRL started charging $10.00 for the award and then virtually no one applied. As such, the ARRL, after many decades of having this award, stopped issuing them.

Glen, K9STH

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If somebody wants to chase you, sure. You are screwed.

But frequency agility is the only tool left that net operators have to work around QRM. There is no enforcement (even in the UK), and there is no recourse. You either move, or hang up the mic. Those are your choices.

Complaining about QRM on the 'Z accomplishes exactly nothing.

W4JHU and WU8Y like this.
  7. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. Marks,

I've checked into NATA before, though it has been about 2 years. I enjoy it and plan to return. I have no qualms about what you guys do.

But,

You're not doing yourself any favors. Your posts drip with presumption. To wit:

1. You assume it is contesters that are bothering you, yet you mention they don't ID. If someone is jamming your net and not ID'ing...then they're not contesting. And I don't know any contester that would take time from their contest to stop and 'ride' you guys. I sense that what you're REALLY experiencing is the "weekend warrior" ham who drinks a few and decides to have fun. Being the weekend, there's also (often) a contest going on. Now, just like you, I don't really know who it is...but that's the point.

2. You are taking a stand that the NATA net is good for the future of ham radio because it includes/mentors/encourages young people. Maybe you do, I don't know. But I DO know that contesting also does work with young hams, in spades. Heck, just a few weekends ago I was working a contest alongside a ham who was maybe 16. And I was out teaching a ham radio class for a number of fridays before that, at my son's middle school. Am I the "Elmer of the Year??" no, of course not. But in my experience, contesters are very accommodating to youngsters, and there are a number of "young guns" among our ranks today. Your argument loses a bit of validity when you make such claims of superiority. I'd say there's no such thing as superiority here, we all must encourage youngsters.

3. Contesters do tend to have excellent stations and the bands tend to get crowded on the weekend. The net is that what you perceive as willful interference may just be someone operating close by, but not close enough for them to be bothered by you. It gets snug, people may invade your personal space a little bit. That's what crowded conditions do. I'm not advocating intentional QRM, but I am saying that you'd be well served to be flexible - flexible in your ability to filter out QRM at your own station, and flexible enough as a net to move when conditions warrant. Like to the WARC bands.

As I recall, one of the hallmarks of the NATA net was a robust online "live look" at the checkins and such, including a chat window. You have the tools to consider a move; and if 40 is open, maybe 30 is too. Of course, not everyone has 30m capability, I get that, BUT...contests NEVER happen on 30, and that's one of the few absolutes you can work with here.

KC3BZJ, W4NNF, W4JHU and 5 others like this.
  8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MMM:

You are forgetting that the 30-meter band regulations do not allow any phone operations by those amateur radio operators within the area governed by the FCC.

In my opinion, the best solution is to move the "net" frequency to above 7200 kHz and, since operation in Region II allows operation all the way to 7300 kHz, to avoid most interference from contests, to go above 7250 kHz but avoid the AM operations around 7290 kHz. That means, basically, the 7250 kHz to 7280 kHz segment.

Glen, K9STH

9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

l16-640x480.jpg

Here we go again.....

WN1MB likes this.
  10. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hahaha.. laughing at myself. Before I got to the end of your post I was already thinking: Great, there goes the AM window.
    Thanks for covering that.
    Good post!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.