An FM Broadcast Transmitter for Your Shack

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K6BP, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KZ9U

KZ9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Its rather funny.. Because the last two days when I get in my truck leaving work, the song on the radio is by Rush.. I wonder if the power trio is investing in Michigan stations now...

2. KC0KBH

KC0KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

What songs were they?

3. KZ9U

KZ9U Ham Member QRZ Page

Working Man the first day... Limelight the second day.. Ok songs I guess...

4. AL2F

AL2F Ham Member QRZ Page

I built the fm stereo transmitter kit from LKG industries, cost me 30 bucks. changed a few things to make it more stable, with out a PLL. Covers the whole town with just a Copper pipe j-pole. But its a real little town, should cover your house, yard, block.

Rush rocks

5. KC0KBH

I agree. I do not have any CD's though. I just have LPs.

6. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever listen to 97.9 WLUP? They play a lot of Rush.

7. KC0KBH

Huh? I like 92.5 KQRS. Great morning show, too.

8. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, there are many good uses for an FM (and AM) transmitters.

"Broadcasting" music within a shielded building. We could get NO radio reception in the office building I used to work at, so our engineering group pooled some bucks to buy a CD/cassette player and a Stereo FM XMTR kit. Each of us had our own radios at our desks with volume turned soft and low. We took turns feeding tunes into the player. Surprizingly, no one flamed anyone else's tastes in music (and we had some eclectic ones!) We just got along and expanded our range of experience. That's where I learned of and got into "They Might Be Giants".

Feed TV audio into an FM XMTR and use a headphone radio to receive while working out on your treadmill, etc. You don't have to crank up the TV volume and chace everyone else out of the house.

On a different tack, I us an AM XMTR kit to send tunes to a vintage portable radio displayed with my '65 Mustang at cruise-ins and other casual car shows. I recreated a 1965 "top-30's radio broadcast" on an mp3 CD complete with announcers and commercials from the time. The blanket, picnic basket, Coke bottles, etc. all do their part, but those sounds coming out of the real radio put the whole display over the top.

[​IMG]

P.S.: That photo was taken in a high school parking lot (fundraising car show). I "Photoshop'ed in" the beach!

9. KC0KBH

Yes, I believe I can see a little asphalt.

10. W6TMI

W6TMI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That sounds kind of cool, do you still have that (mp3) around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.