ad: Alphaant-1

An exercise in trouble shooting ( I am not asking for help).

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K1OIK, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since the Dentron is from 40 years ago I guess that fits boat anchor. I posted this in a Swan thread but no responses.
    I bought an AL811H on the cheap from a guy who bought and said it blew fuses, I got it, turned it on and I put in a new 15A fuse, no problem. The old fuse was 7.5A and there was a good reason the original seller never had a problem with 7.5A and the buyer did and I didn't when I replaced with the recommended 15A fuse. Any of you know the reason? ( I do).
    I bought a Dentron Clippertron on the real cheap recently that the seller said was dead, it was. The fuse was good. I did an ohmmeter check on the AC cord, infinite to the inside switch, switches good, AC line cord good, as it turned out I fixed without putting a hand inside. But I did use a Variac to bring it up. Want to guess what that issue was?

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like to know. Why did the original owner never have a problem with 7.5A?

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Line voltage set to 120 instead of 240

N2EY likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Infinite to the inside switch"?

5. K1OIK

No to both scenarios.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The fuse size is (Should be) different depending on the AC line voltage.

When the caps charge the surge can blow the fuse. That can happen when larger than spec caps are used.

Line cord being miss wired happens also.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  7. K1OIK

KL7AJ was in the ball park.
    But no one really nailed it.
    With the AL811H it blew fuses because the last owner converted it from 240 to 120 without doubling the fuse size.
    The Dentron was dead because the last owner bought it, plugged it in and it was dead because the 120-240 jumper taps were totally missing.
    Both owners had a simple fix if they only made the slightest effort.

8. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

(A) You can't fix stupid or lazy..
    (B) A fool and his money are soon parted.

N2EY likes this.