AN EARTHQUAKE WITH A PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE OF 8.0 OCCURRED IN THE GULF OF ALASKA AT 0932 UTC ON

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by OE1FKR, Jan 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. OE1FKR

OE1FKR Ham Member QRZ Page

000 WEPA40 PHEB 230943 TSUPAC TSUNAMI MESSAGE NUMBER 1 NWS PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER EWA BEACH HI 0943 UTC TUE JAN 23 2018 ...PTWC TSUNAMI THREAT MESSAGE... **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE ***** THIS MESSAGE IS ISSUED FOR INFORMATION ONLY IN SUPPORT OF THE UNESCO/IOC PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING AND MITIGATION SYSTEM AND IS MEANT FOR NATIONAL AUTHORITIES IN EACH COUNTRY OF THAT SYSTEM. NATIONAL AUTHORITIES WILL DETERMINE THE APPROPRIATE LEVEL OF ALERT FOR EACH COUNTRY AND MAY ISSUE ADDITIONAL OR MORE REFINED INFORMATION. **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE **** NOTICE ***** PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS --------------------------------- * MAGNITUDE 8.0 * ORIGIN TIME 0932 UTC JAN 23 2018 * COORDINATES 56.0 NORTH 149.2 WEST * DEPTH 19 KM / 12 MILES * LOCATION GULF OF ALASKA EVALUATION ---------- * AN EARTHQUAKE WITH A PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE OF 8.0 OCCURRED IN THE GULF OF ALASKA AT 0932 UTC ON TUESDAY JANUARY 23 2018. * BASED ON THE PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS... WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS TSUNAMI WAVES ARE POSSIBLE. TSUNAMI THREAT FORECAST ----------------------- * HAZARDOUS TSUNAMI WAVES FROM THIS EARTHQUAKE ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE NEXT THREE HOURS ALONG SOME COASTS OF NO AREAS COVERED BY THIS MESSAGE APPEAR TO BE IMMEDIATELY THREATENED. HOWEVER... THE SITUATION IS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION. THIS THREAT EVALUATION WILL BE UPDATED AS SOON AS FURTHER INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE. RECOMMENDED ACTIONS ------------------- * GOVERNMENT AGENCIES RESPONSIBLE FOR THREATENED COASTAL AREAS SHOULD TAKE ACTION TO INFORM AND INSTRUCT ANY COASTAL POPULATIONS AT RISK IN ACCORDANCE WITH THEIR OWN EVALUATION... PROCEDURES AND THE LEVEL OF THREAT. * PERSONS LOCATED IN THREATENED COASTAL AREAS SHOULD STAY ALERT FOR INFORMATION AND FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS FROM NATIONAL AND LOCAL AUTHORITIES.

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Lisa,
    I imagine the forums title of "community help" may have thrown Fritz off, as his English may be a little compromised compared to native speakers; hence in his wanting to help, and being in a bit of a time crunch, as far as tsunamis go, he wanted to get the word out. Also, looking closely at the way the alert is written leads me to believe it may have been a cut and paste job from an official agency (they love all caps); again, all for the need to get the message out as fast as possible. So, while technically, Fritz posted in the 'wrong' forum, I believe his heart was in the right place and as a semi coastal resident in the area potentially effected, I appreciate the effort that went into that from half way around the world.

That's all I had Lisa, not trying to bust your chops. It looks like a NWS product to me.
    Thanks for the effort Fritz. Thanks for caring enough to warn others.

Peace out

OE1FKR and W7UUU like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

As it turned out, it was much ado about not much here in the Pacific Northwet, and AK. Meh.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

HI and AK are dangerous places to live lately it seems. :oops:

Hey, can I get a little help over here??

6. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally get it, my post was aimed at giving him direction to a proper forum.

If it would have been in another forum you and others would have seen the thread on Tuesday and it would not have taken 3 days to se his message.

73, Lisa :)

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Reality is a lot less so.

W7UUU likes this.