ad: CQMM-1

An Amazing Evening of QRP DX on the Beach with a uSDX

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4OGO, Jun 29, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4OGO

K4OGO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KG7IRJ, W0DN, M7OCM and 28 others like this.
  2. WB9QLR

WB9QLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool...a practical application of SWR (that's Salt Water Resonance) using the whole Atlantic as a ground plane. ;) Impressive.

AB9TX, YB2TTG, W0JMJ and 2 others like this.
  3. K4OGO

Yes indeed! Thanks for watching.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. N1UXA

N1UXA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW!
    Very cool.

Hopefully this will motivate me to get down to the beach here in Surfside Beach, SC. I only live 1/4 mile away. I can walk!

I have the Yaesu FT-818ND and hamsticks that mount in the sand just like your whip.
    Never thought about the ground wire counterpoise to the ocean. Nice idea!!

Tom - N1UXA
    Surfside Beach, SC

K9EZ, N4FZ, K4OGO and 1 other person like this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it. Simple stupid setup which is the best way on the beach. No better counterpoise.

N4FZ, K4OGO and KB2QQM like this.
  6. KB3ZMB

KB3ZMB Ham Member QRZ Page

I could imagine some sort of a setup on a sailboat after having dropped anchor for the night. Drop a line in the water for counterpoise and have the antenna going up-mast somehow.

N4FZ and K4OGO like this.
  7. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

as always Walt, great video! We need to do a beach to beach Q!

K4OGO likes this.
  8. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Brilliant...KISS, no sales pitch, no "smash that like button", no face-pulling-finger-pointing-upwards thumbnail, short n sweet (no droning on and on for ages) and no click-bait-title.

You Sir set the standard by which some other Ham YT'ers need to follow, well done, well done indeed. :cool:

FWIW i agree with the QRP after your callsign.

K9EZ, K0BL, KC3JH and 4 others like this.
  9. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Walt

Great job brother I love the simplicity as well as “just to go for it and have fun” attitude.! Wondering how much one of those jewels cost?

I am on Boca Grand Island right now Southwest Florida to a condo with a Xiegu G90 & a 20m dipole on the porch second story of a condo.

I will be on the rainbow River in a few days using an End Fed dipole in a tree.

The first night on the island I worked Ireland so QRP works even though at the antenna it’s probably about 15 Watts.

You inspire me to go maybe set up that a parked bench on one of the Seaside Parks.

I think going vacation portable is a wonderful thing for our hobby as well as public relations especially with children. Keep it up and enjoy the sunsets!

John
    WB4JHS F33FC840-21C3-462D-88CC-35EE0638D123.jpeg E792E95E-7251-4C57-ACD8-2936CB8FE6F9.jpeg 74439920-C327-4F50-B9BA-E86850DB3259.jpeg

N4FZ, K4OGO and N4LDB like this.
  10. AI4HO

AI4HO Ham Member QRZ Page

I like that idea! I live an hour south of Orlando on the east coast of Florida. I have that same little transceiver, only used it a couple times. I need to change up my antenna situation. Need a couple new coils for my buddipole.
    We get together near the Intercoastal waterway which empties into the Atlantic. Interesting….gonna do some thinking.

11. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All around great vid for multiple reasons, thanks for making and posting!

K4OGO likes this.
  12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The daily Greyline is almost powerful and the best for to be on the bands with QRP. Its not always the kind of antenna which is used, its the change in the Ionosphere. Get the Greyline really to know to find the possibilities and that this is always just a game of chance.

K4OGO likes this.
  13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was first licensed in Manhattan Beach, CA, where we lived a block from the beach. I attribute my wonderful Novice "beginner's luck" to being in that environment. Very different from Interior Alaska's "Bermuda Triangle of RF".

G3SEA and K4OGO like this.
  14. KE0VFO

KE0VFO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Blessed is the man who's only QRN heard on the band is the waves in the background. Great video. Enjoyed it much. 73

15. K4OGO

Aawesome! hope to catch you on the bands! 73/K4OGO