ad: Amateur-1

An AM ragchew I heard

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by ZL2EDH, Aug 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. ZL2EDH

ZL2EDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello! I was fooling around on the na5b kiwisdr and I heard an Amplitude Modulation ragchew! I tuned in because it sounds waaay better than SSB (eSSB is competing) and I heard them mention 11 metres but in New Zealand, 11 metres is only for telemetry! The frequency was 3874kHz AM on 80 metres.

Oh yeah, subscribe to my channel on youtube, I just started and would love subscribers!

73, ZL2EDH

PS don't mind the jakkyboi stuff up there, my encoder software is a bit messy rn.

W3SLK likes this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to AM Fone!

Old Sol was sure working hard on this transmission! b.

3. W3SLK

W3SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen around there, and the top portion of 40M during (our) day and there's a good chance you will hear more!

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Late one winter night a few years ago, Timtron WA1HLR and I were just finishing up a late night QSO around 2 AM, near the usual 3885 kc hangout. After Tim signed, I heard a weak station calling me. My first notion was to blow him off; after all I was feeling tired and sleepy and it was probably just some pissweaker two states away running 20w with his plastic radio to an 18' high G5RV or trap dipole. But I listened more closely before turning off the receiver, and I heard him sign a ZL call (I forget the rest of his callsign). That grabbed my attention, so I stayed around and responded to him. As we were exchanging the usual, Tim broke back in. All 3 of us could hear one another, so we continued a 3-way for another 20 minutes, probably 80% readability between Maine, Tennessee and New Zealand. That was my historically best DX ever on 75m AM.

KD2TUD, WD5GWY, AC0OB and 2 others like this.
  5. ZL2EDH

ZL2EDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh wow! that's really cool! i have yet to get an HF rig but I sure want one with AM capabilities!

6. W1GFH

W1GFH Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like me! (But, for the record, the antenna is 40 feet high)