An Alien in Texas ...

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by PD0JBV, Jan 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB3TQ

    AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

    You have determined you are a General Class FCC equivalent right now under CEPT. I think the subject is quite confusing.

    But there is no confusion about this. If you pass the FCC Tech Exam only, and are issued an FCC Tech license - in any FCC controlled area, you are a Tech ONLY. And CEPT will then no longer apply to you in any FCC territory.

    So you better start passing those General Exam practice tests as well if it is your intention to get licensed by the FCC, unless you only want to talk on local repeaters.
  2. PD0JBV

    PD0JBV Guest

    Hello. I am only interested in 10-meters. CEPT Novice is by FCC recognized as General. Within the limits of that type of license i only use 10-meters too. So: for the times i am visiting my kids i can be active at 10 as an General.

    When i live in Texas (approx 5/6 years from now) i am a Tech (after exam), and that is enough for me to make my moves on 10. I live between 28.000 and 28.500 :)

    General needs Tech license/exam results anyway, maybe i do that later when wanted. Due to understanding your language and laws i go for small steps. And besides that, 10 is enough for me because it gives the world in a small box.

    Thanks for reply Glenn. I like your gremlins and preferences, outside the shack is where life starts!
    N5PZJ likes this.
  3. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    The General has almost full HF privileges, so pick any band you wish! When you move here permanently, you should plan to take the Tech and General at the same time. The General isn't that much more difficult than the Technician, but it is more technical.
    PD0JBV and N5PZJ like this.
  4. KD8DEY

    KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

    From what I understand, He should be able to pass the General exam pretty easily since they have higher testing standards....
    PD0JBV and N5PZJ like this.
  5. KC8VWM

    KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

    Visitors can operate according to reciprocal agreements.

    A visitor who later becomes a legal permanent resident can no longer operate using a license from another country. They are no longer visiting and therefore any reciprocal agreements no longer apply.

    All US citizens and permanent residents of the United States are legally required to operate using a US license. Similarly, all US citizens and permanent residents are legally required to file taxes with the IRS, or have a US drivers license issued to them by the state DMV and many other things for that matter. So no, there's no special exceptions for these licensing requirements for citizens and permanent residents regardless of any other license(s) held in other countries.

    Of course, there's nothing preventing you as a visitor from another country from getting a US license.

    The procedure before any foreign national can write the US exam is they must apply for and receive a ULS / FRN registration number first. A foreign national will not be permitted to write the exam without an issued FRN number. You must take an FRN number with you to the licensing exam session.

    Let's go through the steps of applying for an FRN number.

    # 1 Go to the ULS website and register. The website address is:

    register FRN.jpg

    # 2 As you can see in the screenshot below, if you are applying as a foreign national, you are not required to have a contact address in the United States..


    # 3 Ensure you indicate that you are a foreign national when applying for your FRN number.
    Ensure you select the pull down menu and select your home country, where you live.


    Complete and submit the remainder of the application in the usual manner.

    Remember, as a foreign national you must apply for and receive an FRN number from the FCC before you will be permitted to write the exam.

    Good luck :)
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    W1TRY likes this.

Share This Page