An Alien in Texas ...

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by PD0JBV, Jan 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello. I am a Dutch Radio Amateur (CEPT Novice) and twice a year i am in Texas Covington where my (grand)kids live. Do i need extra papers besides my Dutch registration card to do some experiments on 20 and 10 meters in Texas? And is it possible for me to apply for a US license based on my Dutch papers, or do i need a new exam? I checked the FCC website but could not find my case.

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You should be able to operate in the US with your Dutch license signing W5/PD0JBV.
    I don't know what frequency privileges you have though.
    See if this page helps: http://www.arrl.org/foreign-licenses-operating-in-u-s

To get a US license you need to take the exams and have a US mailing address.

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I know nothing about Dutch to FCC license equivalents. How many different classes of Dutch licensing are there, and where does your Dutch license fit into that mix? If you have the highest level Dutch license (full privileges), you probably also have extensive privileges under CEPT. If your Dutch license is somewhat limited, you might not have any CEPT privileges at all.

If you want an FCC license, as was mentioned, you need to pass the appropriate tests. In order of difficulty they are Technician, General and Amateur Extra. And you do need a US address (your grand kids Texas address would work). They could then forward anything received to you.

Just be aware that IF you currently do have extensive HF privileges under CEPT, you would lose them in the US if you only pass an FCC Technician exam. If you hold ANY FCC license, your Dutch license is no longer valid in any FCC administered area. You would need to pass the FCC Technician AND the FCC General exams to have extensive HF privileges in the US if you decide to go that route.

4. PD0JBV

Thanks for reply Rich! That link showed me no more papers others than my own registration are needed. I park the study for after my retirement :)

5. PD0JBV

Hi Glenn, thnks for reply. I park the study for the moment after my retirement and when i moved to TX. Based on an agreement between your great country and Europe i am a general class amateur in the USA. I checked this one for that information: https://www.ecodocdb.dk/download/0c9ce02d-96b4/Rec0506.pdf ... so as W5/PD0JBV i can use 10-meter, my fav band.

I have all my info now, thanks again and maybe we'll meet on air somewhere somehow.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Bernie, you've got the hat ready for TX!!!! Welcome to the US when you arrive. Texas is a nice "country" in the US.

PD0JBV likes this.
  7. PD0JBV

Thnks Bill! Yep, ... i know :)

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Only parts of it are nice.

9. PD0JBV

Did an online Tech test and made 10 errors, all FCC rules based. Gives me hope i can make it when i learn the local rules.

10. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You got this When do you plan on being in Texas .
    Ham-com large hamfest is in June