ad: tbdxc-1

An Alien in Texas ...

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by PD0JBV, Jan 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. PD0JBV

    PD0JBV Guest

    Hello. I am a Dutch Radio Amateur (CEPT Novice) and twice a year i am in Texas Covington where my (grand)kids live. Do i need extra papers besides my Dutch registration card to do some experiments on 20 and 10 meters in Texas? And is it possible for me to apply for a US license based on my Dutch papers, or do i need a new exam? I checked the FCC website but could not find my case.
  2. K3UJ

    K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    You should be able to operate in the US with your Dutch license signing W5/PD0JBV.
    I don't know what frequency privileges you have though.
    See if this page helps:

    To get a US license you need to take the exams and have a US mailing address.
  3. AB3TQ

    AB3TQ Ham Member QRZ Page

    I know nothing about Dutch to FCC license equivalents. How many different classes of Dutch licensing are there, and where does your Dutch license fit into that mix? If you have the highest level Dutch license (full privileges), you probably also have extensive privileges under CEPT. If your Dutch license is somewhat limited, you might not have any CEPT privileges at all.

    If you want an FCC license, as was mentioned, you need to pass the appropriate tests. In order of difficulty they are Technician, General and Amateur Extra. And you do need a US address (your grand kids Texas address would work). They could then forward anything received to you.

    Just be aware that IF you currently do have extensive HF privileges under CEPT, you would lose them in the US if you only pass an FCC Technician exam. If you hold ANY FCC license, your Dutch license is no longer valid in any FCC administered area. You would need to pass the FCC Technician AND the FCC General exams to have extensive HF privileges in the US if you decide to go that route.
  4. PD0JBV

    PD0JBV Guest

    Thanks for reply Rich! That link showed me no more papers others than my own registration are needed. I park the study for after my retirement :)
  5. PD0JBV

    PD0JBV Guest

    Hi Glenn, thnks for reply. I park the study for the moment after my retirement and when i moved to TX. Based on an agreement between your great country and Europe i am a general class amateur in the USA. I checked this one for that information: ... so as W5/PD0JBV i can use 10-meter, my fav band.

    I have all my info now, thanks again and maybe we'll meet on air somewhere somehow.
  6. KP4SX

    KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Well Bernie, you've got the hat ready for TX!!!! Welcome to the US when you arrive. Texas is a nice "country" in the US.
    PD0JBV likes this.
  7. PD0JBV

    PD0JBV Guest

    Thnks Bill! Yep, ... i know :)
  8. ND5Y

    ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

    Only parts of it are nice.
  9. PD0JBV

    PD0JBV Guest

    Did an online Tech test and made 10 errors, all FCC rules based. Gives me hope i can make it when i learn the local rules.
  10. KC5AKB

    KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    You got this When do you plan on being in Texas .
    Ham-com large hamfest is in June

Share This Page