Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KM4WSJ, Oct 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I will soon be doing the Preppered Ham Bulletproof Mod to mine...
    A new enclosure of milspec o5-017 CrM .5235" "AR" steel armour plate with lexan meter windows....
    Also added will be EMP protection to make it atomic proof too.
    See the upcomming April 1st edition of QST for the full article titled Canned Ham and Cheese Mac1 O' Roni Bulletproof Mod.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. SV9RKU

SV9RKU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AMPLIFIER HF AMPTEC call BD3MN: WARNING

For radio amateurs interested in an amp from this Chinese company, it is important to read this hereby.

Following the purchase of a AMPTEC LA 2000 amp, on 01/11/2017, less than a year before I started having problems with this equipment, I realized that it was heating up a lot, after finding failure evidences of the rear fan, I contacted the company to change this piece. It took no less than ten mails before getting a proper answer, confirmation of the guarantee by BD3MN, sending by mail a new one, 45 euros of expedition fees on me... An identical fan on EBAY could be found for 10 euros free delivery... I paid nonetheless to keep the manufacturer's warranty 1 year FU 728F tube and 2 years other parts.

Following the change of the fan I realized that the band commutator had some traces of heat upon the last contact disc, it concerns the bands 7mhz, 3,5mhz, and 160 meters, bands that I never used with this amp though. I have an Ameritron on another antenna for that.

Emails sent to this company to ask if I need to change all the commutators, or just the last disc, even at my expense, no more responses from Amptec, despite more than 15 emails, the contacts being good for other I was keen on using my amp, but I realized that after the heating of my amp F728F auto tube oscillates, now, so I have to have it replaced too. I ordered to another Chinese company a tube for the total of 400 euros, while the manufacturer, during the purchase proposed the tube exchange in case of failure, for 200 euros for amps purchased from Amptec. In addition, they advertised manuals and schemas to be provided asap. Still nothing as of today.

As an indication price of Amptec equipment LA 2000 = 2300 dollars, plus 200 dollars of port, plus 800 dollars of customs fees ... Yet no guarantee and especially no answer to my letters, now retired for some years, I understand that it is not nice to share the problems due to the bad commercial policy of a company, but I must point it out so that other radio amateurs do not have to have to deal with those. I hope that the hereby will make Amptec think, thank you for spreading the word, because HF amps based on FU728F or similar, are available under other brands, that may be a little bit more honest.

WW1WW likes this.
  3. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using an ALS-1300 hooked to my TS-990 with no problems at all. Granted I use it very little but it has worked beautifully whenever I've needed it. Sorry to hear you've had issues with MFJ in the past. In my experience, though, despite MFJ's often very vocal detractors most people are generally satisfied with their equipment. The ALS amplifiers I've worked with in the past have been robust, worked within specifications and have had almost no problems at all.

4. WX4SGA

WX4SGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ameritron ALS-606/s Dont do this one

I purchased the Ameritron ALS-606/s in November 2018. I had to return it the first week because it was defective but, the company did send a replacement out quickly. I babied the amp, making sure the SWR was nil or at least below 1:2 at the highest and not driving it above 70w. Now just 8 months into use the amp just quit. First thing I did was to check the fuses. They were good. I checked the power. Also good. I called Ameritron and after talking to their "tec" person he just said to send it in. Now sent it UPS with insurance which was just over $100, Ameritron has the ALS-606/s. I called today and was told they have it but it will be 3-4 weeks before they will be able to even look at it. They never even botherd to email me to let me know it arrived.

I strongly suggest avoiding buying this system since their support is lacking and customer service is non existent.

VE2GCE likes this.
  5. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

:(
    That sucks:(.

I have an Ameritron 600 with heavy conventional "linear" or "analog" non switching supply. I purchased mine second hand with no warranty and other than having to do my own repair due to shipping damage at the hands of Fed-Ex, my little ALS 600 has been a solid performer. As a side note, I am not very gentle on my gear and although not exactly abused , I have expectations of failure and usually will deal with such things myself, if and when they should happen. So far both my S/S amps, the 600 and my Expert have yet to fail.;) knock on wood!
    Regardless of the fact that I usually prefer taking care of things myself. (I rely on nobody)
    Customer service is everything to me! I can overlook a products poor performance when the product manufacturer has above and beyond customer service. The better they are at bending over backwards to me, the greater a value I place on that company. Some companies have truly lost sight of serving the customer to the best of their ability. I don't understand it?
    Maybe it's because they have such a high demand or have such a revolutionary or unique product that corners the market, they get too high and mighty to deal with customer service, I dunno?
    To have to ship at my own expense and trouble and then recieve no or poor communication and placed on such a wait would make me sour to my relationship with said product.
    I do always practice patience and understanding when dealing with others but it's how they respect me back that goes a long ways.
    CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE IS EVERYTHING!
    Is there anyone hearing what I say?

WX4SGA likes this.
  6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Elecraft KXPA100 is a 100w amplifier for QRP rigs, available with or without a built-in auto tuner. The amplification limit set by the FCC is 15 dB, so amplifiers that will put out more than ~150w for 5w drive are not legal to sell...but you can homebrew one for your own use.

7. AJ4SN

AJ4SN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I built one of W6PQL's amps, and it works well. I also built one of the Mercury III amps for a friend. It's really simple to assemble and also works well for $2500.

8. KD1GA

KD1GA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mercury III S, with out a doubt the best solid state amplifier value..period end of story. But what do I know.