ad: Radclub22-1

Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KM4WSJ, Oct 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. GM1FLQ

GM1FLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Acom also seem to be advertising a 600W solid state amp now.

2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking into HF amps for my FT817ND and noted that all of the amps for this market sector appear to be either Chinese or Italian imports of which I have never heard of before. Do any of the more common manufacturers of Amateur Amps make anything for the 5watt HF transceivers?

3. K1MMI

K1MMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft sells the KXPA100, a 100 watt amplifier, and even sells an FT817 Interface Cable for it.
    The October 2014 issue of QST has a review of the KXPA100 amplifier.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  4. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, get an ALS-600 and bypass the input attenuator and your 5 watts will do fine.

Hope this helps
    Gary

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback! The ALS-600 would work but is capable for use with up to 100W input which I am not interested in.
    The KXPA100 looks like it would fit my intended use. I was not aware they made an interface cable expressly for the 817. Kool.
    I'll more than likely acquire a KXPA100 in the future. And I will be checking the QST review!

6. K1MMI

K1MMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I would add Ten-Tec had been selling a 100 watt AMP to go with their QRP radio but right now Ten-Tec is rebuilding itself to stay in business. Don't know if they will ever build what looked like a very nice 100 watt AMP. It had been priced at about $800. Just go to the Elecraft website and download the KXPA100 user manual for the details on the AMP and hooking up the 817.
    Ed

7. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you might want to homebrew, check out W6PQL & his page. He sells everything you need.

Ed

8. W1XWX

W1XWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have run an ALS600 for the last 4 years without any issues. Very simple to operate and the auto shutdown if the wrong band is selected (high SWR) has saved me on several occasions. I purchased the amp used so it is probably 6+ years old by now. 73

9. W1XWX

W1XWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Need to add-- the ALS 600 auto shutdown has saved me from my stupidity on several occasions.

10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

My ALS 600 really changed my mind about solid state amps! It is a great foolproof amp that is very affordable on the used market. I have heard horror stories about them and quality control issues. I would hope that those are exceptions and would think that there is such a large proliferation of them out there that if you go by shear numbers than yes you likely will have more broken ones out there too. Mine has never even given me one hiccup. I bought mine used and is probably ten years old. Usually buying used you can weed out the lemons easier. Any problem likely would have already surfaced. These amps are pretty bulletproof.
    I just bought my second Solid State amp that would fit the parameters of the orig post. It is a spaghetti amplifier from Italy, an SPE Expert 1K-FA and 20 watts in gets me just around 1000 out! I don't know if they come like this or if its a "Export" model or a simple mod to reverse the inhibit or minimum gain that the FCC has put in place for maximum db gain rules on commercially sold amps. This amp is sweet!