Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KM4WSJ, Oct 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KM4WSJ

KM4WSJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking to rebuild my shack after moving to florida and I have decided to buy an amplifier. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on which is the best one out there. I am not a fan of MFJ products as I have had quality issues in the past with them. I don't know too much about the other brands out there. I will be running a Kenwood TS-990 with a hex beam antenna.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Pierre
    KM4WSJ

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if there is a "Best one". Unless you build it yourself.

Do you want tube or solid state ? Manual or auto tune ?

3. KM4WSJ

I would prefer solid state as it is newer technology. Auto tune would be nice but manual tune is not a problem. I am looking for something that will last a long time and 100% duty cycle. As I said earlier, i don't know much about amps so if tubes are better than solid state I'm ok with that.

4. NB8M

NB8M Ham Member QRZ Page

an Acom 2000A is a very good amp and top of the line. they are very expensive ,but worth every penny. they will work with a 3.0 swr I have one and love it

KU3X and N4FZ like this.
  5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree with the Acom 2000A as the best choice for a high duty cycle. As for solid state, I'd go with the Icom PW-1. They use them at W1AW for RTTY and any amp that can hold up running RTTY for an extended period of time is a selling point for me. BUT.......don't expect that amp to have a broad band tuner. I think it's good up to a 3 to 1 SWR?
    I am sure it's a perfect match for your Hex Beam.
    If you are going to go on 40 meters I'd suggest you use no less than a 40 meter resonant dipole. A 40 meter delta loop would also be a great choice.

Barry, KU3X
    www.ku3x.net

6. KM4WSJ

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Pierre, KM4WSJ

7. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have heard many say good things about the Acom. It appears to be a very nice solid state amp. It also appears to be bit above my modest budget and simple station.
    I just purchased a used Ameritron ALS 600 solid state linear amplifier and I am liking it very much and getting very spoiled with no tuning, nearly instantaneous power on and transmit... just real simple, You turn it on, select the bandswitch for the band range you intend to operate and youre good to go!
    Easy Peasey! They also offer radio specific transciever interfaces that will automatically select the band for whatever freq you dial up on the connected transciever.
    The only drawback .... its only 500 to 600 watt amp. But if you inventory all your own personal pros and cons, you might find that a 600 watter might just the right thing. This amp will run all day n all night on only 120 volts drawing just enough current for most any household appliance outlet to safely power it up.
    I also like that the power supply is separated from the amp, Leaving it on the floor, ya only have half the footprint on the desk.
    They also make a small optional remote box that can place the amp on the floor away the desktop.
    I also like the cross needle watt meters.
    Now the only thing is that you stated you are apprehensive of MFJ products. I belive that Ameritron is a subsidary of MFJ or some sorta thing.

N4FZ likes this.
  8. K4LMP

K4LMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not look for a used Yaesu FL-7000 that has had the Bill Grassa mods done. I have one, and it is a great solid state amplifier. They can be had shipped for around $1400 or less.

9. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Best full power amp is the SPE 2k-fa, all solid state, no warm up, no fans buzzing all the time. If you need more power the AMPTEC La4000 with 4KW for $2300 might do.

10. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ owns Ameritron. It does not necessarily mean that MFJ QA problems will appear in companies owned by MFJ.

I have an Ameritron AL-82. I've had it for quite a while, don't really remember if it was pre-MFJ or not. I can say that while it is not a "premium" amp it is still a good amp and puts out the watts. After all RF is RF and the guy at the other end will not know the difference unless you tell him.