Amplifier Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4UQI, Jul 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with that? There are really no "better" 811s being produced. 572Bs? Their prices are climbing to the point where it makes more sense, really, to jump to another amp. 572Bs apparently are also in short supply and it doesn't look like that is gonna change.

Don't get me wrong, though, I love my AL811H...it's done a good job for me and I use it frequently. :)

W2AI likes this.
  2. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The AL 80 B .

KA4DPO and W9RAC like this.
  3. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Technicians can't exceed 200 watts. The additional item you will need is to upgrade your ticket.

KA2FIR and NL7W like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

6. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

"My [radio]'s bigger than your [radio]!"

W2AI likes this.
  7. KN6CSB

KN6CSB Ham Member QRZ Page

this is definitely sound advice,
    however, I find too many hams are underplaying what that extra 1.3 to 1.5 S unit can do, it just might be the differene between a DX station being able to hear you or bother working you back,
    also, there is a psychological aspect to having an amp on and calling CQ or trying to contact a station. feeling confident they will hear you and you call several times or call CQ more often hoping for better dx because your amp is on, whether or not the extra 1.5 S unit helps is questionable, but definitely the fact you are on the air trying helps 100%

8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes and no. Here is 97.313 verbatim:

"(c) No station may transmit with a transmitter power output exceeding 200 W PEP:" etc etc...

There is no limitation in Part 97 on the number of transmitters that may be used simultaneously. For example, none of my transmitters output more than 1500W, but nothing in the rules prohibits me using 3 of them simultaneously to transmit the exact same signal on the same frequency using the same antenna.

In fact ACOM sells a device to do just this:

https://www.acom-bg.com/products/amplifier/acom-3x2000a

WF4S likes this.
  9. WF4S

WF4S Ham Member QRZ Page

Your right. Nothing limits ERP ...

10. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that the intent and meaning of the regulation? You really sure, or is that just Jailhouse Lawyer jurisprudence?

I'll mail you a crisp $5 bill if you submit a formal request for regulatory clarification to: Chief, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, FCC WASHDC.

QTX

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 1:31 AM
    W2AI and WN1MB like this.