Amplifier Recommendation

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4UQI, Jul 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

^ The definitive statement on amps IMHO is above. :)

TNX, OM

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They are, but the tubes are made in China and can go south on you even if you baby them. When they do short/arc you will likely have to do a little work other than just plugging in a new tube, like replacing a diode. Not a big deal, but maybe not something the brand new OP wants to face. ;)

I am still using my old AL811H, and keep saying that when it finally self-immolates I will replace it with an ACOM. Alas, it stubbornly refuses to die. :)

AE1N likes this.
  3. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

wizard junk.jpg

K8PG, N3FAA and W4NNF like this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I concur.:)

5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

WZ7U and N2EY like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes...a General or Extra license.

Your Technician license only allows you to run 200 watts on parts of 80, 40, 15 and 10 meters. CW only on 80, 40 and 15.

AH7I, WN1MB, KA2FIR and 2 others like this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but on CB he ran.....

8. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Spend it Rod, its next to worthless now according to the CD and bank rates. Spend it before anyone else finds out too! 73 RAC

N1YR and W4NNF like this.
  9. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

When the China tubes go south, replace them with better ones .... AL811H is still one of the best "bang for the buck" linears on the market! --- Layne AE1N

W2AI likes this.
  10. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Haethkit SB 1000 completely rebuild new 3-500ZG in it, running at 600 to 800 watts here if needed.
    Spend first to make the antenna system as good as possible using very low loss VHF/UHF coaxial cable and the best setup on antenna's i could get up with begging neighbours for accessing their roof for hanging my Fritzel 1500 watt OCF, a 77 feet inverted L with 3000 feet of radials including in neighbours gardens, etc.
    Mostly 100 watts is enough, but if not the amp comes on with no regret, it has a soft start build in during the renovation.
    Make use of every tool in your box to make a good QSO, including an amp, whatever the choice ends up to be.

WA1GXC likes this.