Amplifier Cabinet/Chassis

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by W7WRJ, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7WRJ

W7WRJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone know where I can find a Cabinet/Chassis that could be used to build a 2xGS-35b amplifier? I'm looking for an enclosure that is about 10 inches high, 15 inches deep and 17 inches wide. This enclosure will only house the RF deck, I already have a separate enclosure for the power supply. I would prefer a new enclosure, but am ok with a used one also same from a gutted amp. My contact info on my QRZ page.

Thanks,

Mike Chasse
    W7WRJ
    www.qrz.com/db/w7wrj
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

Here is what I posted in your same request in the "homebrew" section:

A "standard" size cabinet would be about 11-inches high and 20-inches wide and the 15-inches deep should be available. That cabinet would be for a 19-inch wide rack panel that is 10.5-inches high.

Glen, K9STH

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anything 20" wide won't fit in a RETMA standard rack cabinet.

The overall opening is 19.00" and the spacing between the vertical mounting rails is 17.75".

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

WIK:

Like I said, for a 19-inch wide rack panel the cabinet will, usually, be about 20-inches wide and around 11-inches, maybe 11.5-inches tall excluding the height of the feet on the cabinet. Not that the rack panel would be 20-inches wide! The "standard" rack panels are either 19-inches or 23-inches wide.

Of course, there are rack style cabinets that have more than about 1/2-inch "lip" on each side of the rack panel and there are those that have less than 1/2-inch "lip" on each side. The Collins 75A-2 receiver, that has a 19-inch wide by 10.5-inch high rack panel for the front panel, has a cabinet that is 21.125-inches wide by 12.25-inches high. Then, I have a rack cabinet, for a 7-inch high rack panel, that is 19.625-inches wide by 7.25-inches tall. That cabinet is made from aluminum that is 0.25-inches thick.

Glen K9STH

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP was looking for response via email...
    I traded a few emails with Mike.

7. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I find electronics surplus joints & ask for the scrap pile. Never know what you find. In fact, I found one on Ebay near me that the owner simply has no idea what he has, or no ability to test. I will check it out this afternoon & see what gems I come out with.

Ed

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

There are cheap 19" "desktop" racks in the 4U and 6U size on eBay.
    A quick look to Michael's QRZ page shows he already has racks at his station.

The larger issue is freight/shipping charges, due to weight.
    Always best to check in your local area first (computer centers, pro audio shops/studios).

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike has made a decision.

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am planning 3 custom solid state amps for 23cm, 6m, 70cm(and maybe 1.25cm). I am ordering bare rack rails and custom building an oak cabinet to match my desk!