Amp repair service

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KF7PK, Nov 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF7PK

KF7PK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an amp supply LK500ZC that needs repair. Anyone know where I could get it repaired
    Chuck KF7PK

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know anyone around eastern Oregon.

If you're willing to pack and ship, there are plenty of places, including one who posts here regularly from Connecticut.

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be Lou, @W1QJ. He does A LOT of repair & 6m conversions. :)

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem on that. It is a long haul unfortunately but it would not be the first time I had amps sent from the far end.

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What do the amp do? Simply blow the fuses (CBs)?

6. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree, what is wrong?

There is not much to that amp. Should be a simple fix. Worked on a few and biggest issue I have ran into are cold of broken solder joints on the coils. Second most repeating problem is a diode in the power supply. Everything is super easy to get to and you only need Tractor Tools to work on it.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The amplifier is known for the HV transformer to fail. If you remove the HV leads to the rectifier and it blows the fuses, you know the transformer is bad. Careful of High Voltage inside. If it does not blow the fuses with the HV transformer wires disconnected, it is likely the capacitor bank shorted or possibly the HV rectifiers. Any of these if you can solder you can service it. If you were down the street from me I would fix it for you.