Amiga?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA7KKP, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

I was wondering if there were any Amigaphiles still going out there . . . and anyone with the AEA Amiga Video Terminal.

Since they had NTSC scan rates, and some had composite video output, they were quite handy for ATV, etc. And there's a dandy Morse Code trainer from Italy that simulates a QSO, complete with background noise, variable bandwidth on the RX, and a lot of neat features.

When posting, let me know which model you have, and maybe we can keep in touch for support, etc. I have a few cards for the A2000, including Ethernet, Video Toaster, memory, and SCSI HD controllers for anyone in need.

Gary WA7KKP

wa7kkp /at/ gmail /dot/ com

2. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have an Amiga but if I come across one in a junk shop or at a flea market I plan to buy it. I love that kind of stuff.

3. KB3NDN

KB3NDN Ham Member QRZ Page

havent owned one in a while - but i love older computers - I am a 65c02, z80, 8080, 6800 - nut. if it has that type of processor i want it.

4. WA7KKP

FYI, the Amigas were MOTO 68000 based -- later models used the '020 and '030, and aftermarket accelerators had the '040 processors.  Top clock speed was anywhere from 25 to 33 MHz.

A1000, 2000, 500, 600 were 68k @ 7.16 MHZ
    A2500 was 020 or 030 depending on which accelerator card was installed.
    A3000 was an 030, usually 25 MHz but some were 16 MHz.
    A1200 was an 020EC, cheap version of the 020 without MMU, at 14.318 MHz.
    A4000 was an 040 @ 25 MHz.

Gary WA7KKP

5. KB3NDN

KB3NDN Ham Member QRZ Page

yep. just like the macintoshes. i was just making a general statement.

6. WA7KKP

Also, for those of you who want to know AmigaOS's . . .

Kickstart/Workbench 1.3:
    Original blue background, very simple icons. Most common in the early Amigas. The A1000 is limited to 1.3 and uses a floppy Kickstart as well as a Workbench disk. A500 and A2000 only need the WB disk to boot.

Kickstart/Workbench 2.x:
    Medium grey background, better icons, and more versatility. A3000's had this. Needs a new ROM in A500/2000 machines. Can boot from floppy, but for all the bells and whistles, you need a *hard drive installation.

Kickstart/Workbench 3.x:
    Last series, looks much like 2.x but has enhancements, including CD-ROM support (two files can be copied to 2.x to make it work), and most Internet software (browsers, mailers, etc.) need 3.x Needs a new ROM inserted in machine. WB 3.5 is on CD-ROM along with 3.1, instead of the floppy disks. One nice feature is that you can have multiple booting devices, selectable at startup.

One exception is WB3.9, which is a CD -- you must have a 68030 or better to run.

For most people, 3.5 is all that you need, and for software, there is a free ftp site www.aminet.org for just about anything and everything you need.

*Hard drives -- the standard is SCSI-1 or 2, with 50 pin flat cables. Some controllers would do IDE, but these are rare. You can use very small HD's down to 20-30 MB, but 240 to 540 seem to be optimum. Max allowed by DOS is 4 gig. Amiga files are pretty small -- a large program is anything over 1 MB, so you don't need much HD space to hold a good working system.

Linux is available, either as an unsupported Red Hat/Slackware distro, or Debian. NetBSD is also available for the Amiga, if you are a real computer geek type. An MS-DOS emulator program is available, and the A-Maxx add-on will emulate older M68k Macs.

Gary WA7KKP

7. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

it was definitely ahead of its time. i rescued an amiga 3000ux from the trash heap--it cleaned up quite nicely and sold quickly on ebay (i thought about keeping it but i have enough stuff here as it is).

8. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Amiga was my dream computer back in the mid 80s. We had a C-64 and I always thought the Amiga would have been our next step up.

Sadly, Bill Gates and Commodore's poor business sense ruined it for all of us.

9. WA7KKP

For those of you who are interested in computers by Commodore, beg, borrow or steal a copy of "On The Edge -- a history of Commodore Computers"

Very interesting, and it is amazing how Commodore was on the bleeding edge of the industry and kept shooting itself in the foot.

Gary WA7KKP

10. KE7IPY

KE7IPY QRZ Member

I ordered that book from the publisher. It's an interesting read for sure. Apple gets WAY TOO MUCH credit for building the personal computing industry, and Commodore gets way too little recognition.

I did think the writing in the book was poor, though. The author could have used a decent editor.

If you're interested in computers of the day, you might want to take a look at BBS: The Documentary. It's a fairly complete history of BBS'ing in America. It's a free download from that site. I think the whole thing could have been edited down to a 90 minute movie, once again, with a decent editor. As it is, it's an 8 part epic.

You Amiga people ought to keep an eye out on Craigslist. I saw 2 Amiga 2000's and 3 keyboards with some software and some genlocking hardware for $50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.