ad: elecraft

Ameritron Amplifier Advice

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by VE2GCE, Mar 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not aware of any 3-500 tubes made in the USA anymore, and they haven't been in quite some time.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, only Chinese made. But, they are proven very good tubes.

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had said just "good" instead of "very good" I'd probably agree with you.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't buy new American-made 811As or 572Bs, either -- or just about any glass tubes.

I've found the Chinese 3-500ZGs are fine, but for some reason I'm hungry an hour later.

5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

At least you don't have to replace the tube an hour later. :p

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

True.

My "RFP" branded Chinese tube in my AL-80B has been in there for 9 years now of pretty frequent use and still works fine.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can always buy gassy NOS Elmac 3-500Z.

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

An older one may even be OK. I've got an RFP branded tube in my AL-80b and it's 7 years younger than Steve's. Seems like it will be fine. I recently dusted off the insides of the amp and the tube looks brand new. I push it pretty hard sometimes too with AM service.

9. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have some original Eimac 3-500Z tubes and some RF Parts Chinese models. The Chinese tubes put out about 10-15% more power. Both work fine.

With 3-500 tubes it’s really a non-issue nowadays, especially if you pay the extra bucks to let RF Parts do the testing of them (and warrant them). If you try to get bargain basement tubes off eBay you may have varied results, since you become the test pilot, but you save a few bucks. Just don’t buy the cheapest ones you can find and then complain that your Yugo tubes don’t live up to your Mercedes expectations. This is very common in Amateur Radio.

KD2ACO likes this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would trust RF parts.

It only cost a little more to go first class.