ad: k1jek

Ameritron ALS-606/s

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WX4SGA, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would buy Ameritron, but only used out of warranty. You get used for 1/2 or less of new price.

KA2FIR likes this.
  2. WI4R

WI4R Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an old ALS-600 that I rebuilt and it worked well but I wanted the new ALS -606S with 6 meters, Auto-Band Switching and light weight power supply. Drove up to HRO on the other side of Atlanta and picked one up for $2078.79. When I got home is did not have the proper cable. Consulted MFJ and HRO and finally got the correct cable. Hooked everything up according to the manual, hit the power switch and the needles flopped and the panel light went out. Called MFJ and they said I had a bad power supply, new right out of the box! They said they would send a new power supple and just return the other one in the box with a pre-paid mail label. Got that all straightened out and fired it up and it worked but not for long. I had to the best of my memory never exceeded 300 watts on it but had to ship the power supple and amp back to MFJ with $60 postage. I called several time and it had not been looked at yet. Finally I called and they said they were working on it. I received it a week or so later and it did the stated they had to replace one of the MOSFET MRF-150's. I was under the impression they had to be replaced with a matched pair. One does not sound like a matched pair to me. Well, it did work again but only for a few months. Dead all over again with all the same symptoms and now it is out of warranty. I have tested the power supply and it seems fine but it shuts down with the amp connected. I suspect another blown MRF-150 and I'm wondering if it's because they did not replace a matched pair. It's $160 to ship it back and forth so I guess I'll just test the MRF-150's and replace 1 or 2 pairs. Fortunately the old ALS-600 is performing nicely in the meantime. MFJ should have replaced a matched pair of finals and extended the warranty but C'est la vie in the days of the COVID-19. Don't know for sure what I'll do yet but I'll have to do something eventually. I think long term I'll be replacing all the MANY pieces of Mighty Fine Junk in my shack, I'm getting too old to fight the maddening crowd. (wi4r)

3. WX4SGA

WX4SGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I strongly suggest looking at the ACOM amps. Better quality

4. N0ORQ

N0ORQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buying Acom isn’t a guarantee that it’s going to work and not break.

I bought an Acom 04AT tuner with an Acom 1200 S amplifier. This tuner only works with one of the Acom solid-state amplifier’s. For two weeks the pair worked together fantastically!

Then I got a PA under Volt error message and all the amplifier will do is turn off every time you turn it on. So back it went to DXE at where it’s getting repaired, hopefully.

Acoms Are great amps, but any manufacturer can have a problem.