Ameritron ALS-606/s

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WX4SGA, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WX4SGA

WX4SGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased the Ameritron ALS-606/s in November 2018. I had to return it the first week because it was defective but, the company did send a replacement out quickly. I babied the amp, making sure the SWR was nil or at least below 1:2 at the highest and not driving it above 70w. Now just 8 months into use the amp just quit. First thing I did was to check the fuses. They were good. I checked the power. Also good. I called Ameritron and after talking to their "tec" person he just said to send it in. Now sent it UPS with insurance which was just over $100, Ameritron has the ALS-606/s. I called today and was told they have it but it will be 3-4 weeks before they will be able to even look at it. They never even botherd to email me to let me know it arrived.

I strongly suggest avoiding buying this system since their support is lacking and customer service is non existent.

2. WX4SGA

PS: as it stands right now I would not purchace any Ameritron amp because of their poor customer service as well as their repair system. Just beware.

3. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Pay the money and buy Acom.

WX4SGA likes this.
  4. WX4SGA

As of 16 Aug it has not yet been looked at. "It is almost at the top of the line" which means some time maybe this month to just be looked at.

5. WX4SGA

Here is all I get from Ameritron:
    I'm afraid we're a bit backed up and haven't had a chance to get to it yet. We will get it repaired and back to you as soon as possible.
    Date: 2019-08-01 11:20:09
    Name: John
    Next:
    We're working our way towards it but we haven't gotten to it yet. It's close to the front of the line.

Best regards,
    Date: 2019-08-13 11:26:48
    Name: John

Why are they so backed up in service? maybe too many returns? My personal opinion is to avoid Ameritron products

6. K6VOX

K6VOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, I am in the same boat, they have had my ALS-606S since last week of June 2019 and still no word. I owned it for 1 month and they have had it in their possession longer then I have. So Last week of June until Sep 4 2019. I went to BBB and had seen a snarky reply one year from a complainant in 2017 that MFJ replied 8-2019.
    Quopte from BBB
    MFJ Enterprises, Inc. Response:
    08/20/2019

No information is provided here regarding the product information and original problem. We take care of customer complaints and deliver a quality product. We have done so for 43 years so we must be doing something right. Our thirty day money-back guarantee and our one year no matter what warranty protects our customers from a bad product. This sounds like somebody who has some type of personal vendetta against our company, no problem, we have big shoulders and have numerous fans so we can take your unfortunate bias against us. We certainly have many thousands of satisfied customers to speak to.

With that attitude and customer service in the dumper I will NEVER buy MFJ again.

Funny thing is I had al-811H purchased as a back up , but, they stuffed a AL-811A 3 tube version in the box with the AL-811H serial number and stickers.

Never again, the ALS-606s never put out 600w nor did it follow correctly my 7610 and most cases I had to manually select the band which defeats the purpose of a solid-state amp with a radio link.
    I broke down and spent the money on another amp, went ACOM 1010, boy was I not let down! Next Amp is the ACOM 1200s and their auto tuner was just ordered.

N8FVJ is right, spend the extra money and buy an ACOM....you wont be sorry.

7. WX4SGA

I received my ALS-606S back and it was a blown fimal. It took over 5 weeks before it was even looked at. I will start saving for an ACOM because I dont believe this will last. I rarely used the 606s and always used less driving power but still blown a final.

PS I purchased the ALS-606s Nov 2018 and when I received it back it stated my warranty will expire 8/24/2019. Hmm I need to use it before NOV to see if it will blow again. I think they are using the date it was made not the date it was purchased as their warranty date.

I was looking at the work order sent back to me. It was printed 8/22/2019 but the order stated it was shipped back 08/17/2019 Hmm how did they print out the invoice that was inside the box on the 22 Aug but shipped it on 17 Aug. Damm they are good. NOT!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  8. K6VOX

K6VOX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I just got mine back. Just hooked it up to make sure all is working as it should be, and WOW...it actually puts out 600+ watts with 71w in. Then back in the box and off to sell it.

4S6RYD and W1TRY like this.