Ameritron AL-811 - no power out - What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0AKF, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Nick that Texas food must have you plugged up somewhere!

The Mustang survived its share of bad years and came back stronger than ever. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to minimally update the SB-200 design.

Im sure it could even be offered as a kit from offshore as a way to eliminate legal problems from stupid hams and ambulance chaser lawyers.

The current "word" is that the new 572B's are being tested around the country by individuals and one well known amplifier company so keep your fingers crossed.

Im still up for that (-; Being that its in Chicago there are enough very well qualified B&E guys and drivers to be had; many likely work for the CPD!

Carl

2. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You said the radio is set to the correct antenna port, do you have 989 set to the correct antenna port A or B? Forget it was thinking of the 998.:rolleyes:

3. VE7GPG

VE7GPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Im still up for that (-; Being that its in Chicago there are enough very well qualified B&E guys and drivers to be had; many likely work for the CPD!

Be a good job for the outgoing Mayor !

4. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Naw, Carl, you got it wrong.. Texas food keeps you cleaned out which results in very clear thought processes. That NH weather you guys got up there keeps you hemmed in and penned down.. Tunnel vision is the results..

Just for the record, I agree with you that a 2 X 572B amplifier based on an improved SB-200 would make an excellent "starter amp".. But until a high quality tube is made READILY available, that subject is simply continued equine abuse fodder..

I don't know how many of those 572Bs are being produced in each production run, but RF Parts isn't taking any new orders at this time, they're still filling the back orders.. I don't know if Ameritron is one of those "back orderers" or not.. I'm sure if they (Ameritron) did have some tubes, the ham community would be the first to know.. Last word I got was Ameritron has ceased production of all 572B based amplifiers.

That "inferior glass envelope" announcement that you alluded to? Has that been cleared up??

KM5FL

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can fix that problem. I have lots of these.

[​IMG]

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The heavy stuff follows the laws of gravity as does the light gaseous stuff that causes blockage between the ears Nick. OTOH Ive been to several Texas barbecues and chile shootouts to recognize and enjoy the benefits!!

This winter sure put a limit on my antenna projects but that just gave me more time for other things, no time was lost or wasted, us Yankees are known for efficiency.

The AL-572 is not a big seller and a quick look showed several dealers with stock. Id expect them to send a set of free replacements if those are Shuguang tubed.

I never said anything about inferior. All I heard was that Shuguangs supplier ceased production for a couple of rumored reasons. It doesnt affect the new supplier.

Carl

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Geez Nick, come on, there are still thousands of Sb-200 amps out there still needing to be converted to 6 meters!

8. KM5FL

KM5FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it was a rumor or not and I may have heard it from someone else, but what I heard was when the 1st production run was tested for quality, the envelope failed the tests. RF Parts found the second run to be satisfactory and used them to start filling the back orders..

Let me rephrase the question.. For now, let's just assume it's fact, not rumor.. Has the glass problem been solved, and if so, are there now 2 companies manufacturing the tube??

KM5FL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.