Ameritron AL-572 loss of HV reading question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0OHL, Sep 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That's just the weirdest darn thing, eh? I couldn't believe that possibility so it wound up being the last thing I asked Chuck to check.

The NEXT time someone loses HV, that will be the FIRST thing to check... and it won't be that! :p

2. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

That transformer would be a good candidate to unwind to see what happened assuming the HV secondary is on the outside.

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. KD2ACO

Yeah, I think so too, out of morbid curiosity. The failure is a bit odd but the poor thing might have just melted the solder connections right under the paper skin where the wires terminate. That would be an easy fix after the PITA of extracting the thing. Those terminations are on the back side, away from where they would be easy to get to in situ.

N6UH likes this.
  4. N0OHL

N0OHL Ham Member QRZ Page

OK guys -- I hate this but -- think it's for the best.... I called Ameritron--- they wanted $145 plus shipping for a new Xfr --- so I talked to a Tech -- he thought the Open Secondary also sounded suspicious, and wanted me to lift the RED wire and re-measure or send it in and for $85 extra he would take it from there. I heated up the RED wire for about 15 minutes and it wouldn't release it from it's position ---- Ahwww shucks -- If I hadn't had this AMP for several years -- I wouldn't have, but I found a heavy duty box -- and it went to the UPS store Friday. --- I know I know -- don't call me names --- but --- I will report back what Mike finds out -- ---- As a side thought I was looking at the metal cover and cooling fan on the 572, and it doesn't seem as if there is a lot of cooling on the Xfr side? I also had my AMP stuck back in a box ( has a fan - but on top )-- that may have limited the amount of air getting into the Xfr side of the cabinet, especially if I had it in there out-of-center... hummm ( coming up with excuses for my shame )

5. KD2ACO

Don’t be ashamed! Stuff happens.

“I’ve learned everything I know through experience... mostly bad ones.” :confused: :p

6. N0OHL

UPdate -- Sent the AMP to Ameritron a month ago and having not heard anything from them, I called asking if they had received it. They had, and told me to plan on a couple of more months before they would get to it.... So hopefully 2021 will bring some news -- I will pass along.

7. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoa, must be a lot of amps blown up over there at Ameritron, either that or they need more repair techs.

8. KD2ACO

I recently ordered some goodies from there that took a while, and they mentioned understaffing (having a tough time now).

9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding cooling on Amps, with prolonged use the Transformers get as hot as the Valves . . .

Sensibly, on their TL-922 Kenwood fitted a thermal trip INSIDE the HT Transformer . . . and I would find in Contests this would sometimes trip, preventing the Relays from operating.

So on my TL-922 I fitted a new pair of Fans, one in the original position behind the PA Valves, and a matching one on the other side, behind the Mains Transformers.

They now stay nice and cool !

Roger G3YRO

10. N0OHL

OK -- closing this out -- got a call from Ameritron and the transformer was replaced ( was shorted), and will be sending back. Rob said he has had three techs retire there-- and has hurt his ability to service a great deal.They are looking for help-if anyone needs a lead.. Sounds like the final bill will be around $320 with shipping-- which is very reasonable. Will see if we can get some more years out of it. Thanks everyone for the help -- as usual with these project everyone learns 'alot' -- I sure did.

KD8DWO likes this.