Ameritron 811

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AJ4OG, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ4OG

AJ4OG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

120 v plug dont' mean it's wired for 120v....Lesson learned. Thank you very much for the help. Charles

2. N6YG

N6YG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah if you notice in my very first response I clearly asked you how the amp was wired, whether it was wired for 120 or 220. The fact that the Ip was about half of what it should have been was clearly pointing to it being wired for 220 and being plugged into 120. Anyhow glad you figured it out.

I have seen this quite a few times and it really bothers me. As a courtesy you might want to let the Widow know that there's a 220 plug in her house that looks like a 120 plug before she plugs the vacuum cleaner into it.

If you know where the plug is. Then at the very least you can offer to put some duck tape over the receptacle so nothing can accidentally be plugged in. Personally I would find the breaker and shut it off for her.

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

As noted by others earlier, that is a National Electrical Code violation and dangerous. Plugging a 120 VAC appliance in that outlet can kill someone.
    Slang term: Hillbilly wiring (or Village Idiot)

YES, 240 VAC outlets and plugs (NEMA 6) are MORE expensive than 120 VAC (NEMA 5) plugs and outlets.
    IF that is a financial burden, then you really can not afford to own an HF linear amplifier.

The National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) is the trade association of choice for the electrical manufacturing industry.
    NEMA provides a forum for the development of technical standards that are in the best interests of the industry and safety of the users/general public.

NEMA Connectors - Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

NEMA 5 - Straight blade, 125 VAC
    --
    NEMA 5-15 for 15 amp, 120 VAC circuit
    NEMA 5-20 for 20 amp, 120 VAC circuit
    ==
    NEMA 6 - Straight blade, 250 VAC
    --
    NEMA 6-15 for 15 amp, 240 VAC circuit
    NEMA 6-20 for 20 amp, 240 VAC circuit
    ==
    Did you ever wonder what that weird outlet was?
    Attached is the NEMA standard chart of staright blade outlet configurations and what specific power they provide.
    NEMA also has a separate chart for TwistLock outlets/plugs

NEMA 1 and 2 are legacy connectors and should never be installed in new construction (National Electrical Code since 1970).
    NEMA 10 and 11 are also legacy connectors (since NEC 1996), regulary seen in kitchens (electric ovens/stoves) and laundry rooms (electric dryers).
    They are NOT to be used in new home construction (three wire NEMA 10 has been replaced by four wire NEMA 14).

w9gb

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

They usually either put a post-it note that says "220" on the 120 volt style 240 volt outlet, or they paint the 120 volt style 240 outlet red. Both of which are acceptable because as we sometimes hear, "there is more than one way to do things and my way works fine".

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially since a 120V outlet and plug is often much cheaper....:eek:

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom,

We know where we have both heard that quote.
    As we have both earlier stated -- it is non-standard stunts with commercial electrical service (very well doucmented and standardized for decades)
    .... that is a Dangerous, Safety Hazard.

Carl -

At Home Depot the price difference is about $15 to $20 depending on mfg.

IF you can not afford the electrical service .. then the tubes are an economic hardship.
    Everyone one of these owners spends over $40 a month for the service for a cellular phone .... in reality it is nonsense economic logic.

One of my Elmers (sk) told me long ago ... this is why AMATEUR is appropriate prefix for this radio hobby.

w9gb

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A skull and crossbones label is more appropriate.:)

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At my local Home Depot a good quality 120V duplex outlet and a single 240V 15A outlet are both about the same price.

But the AL-811 might have a molded-on 120V plug (I don't remember).

Big amps all come without any plug. That's probably a better idea, as it makes the owner think about this for a moment.

9. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

You can actually bend the one blade on the standard plug 90 degrees and make the standard 120V 15A molded plug fit a nema 240V 20A socket.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The only issue with that is the plug & wire is rated 15A (6-15) and twisting one blade makes it fit a 20A (6-20) receptacle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.