ad: wmr-1

Amazon Power Failure knocks out QRZ for 12 hours

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG4RRN

KG4RRN Ham Member QRZ Page

We have our own problems here...
    The 147.300 machine , which I reported the thunderheads on Friday night coming through Eastern Panhandle has died after loosing battery power , its been 2 days now. NOAA KHB-36 and WXM-42
    both off air still. 5000 Jeff Co residents/businesses off grid, 3000 in Berkeley Co.. without electricity.
    Many restaurants and businesses still closed..biggest compliant of all...some --shat decides to key up over the ARES net on Sunday night, making life miserable for those stations which wanted to describe the hell they were going through...but surviving. One bad --- keyer can ruin your whole day...
    To those who ever needed communications good luck...none to be had here...OF keys the ht and the wires tones come out and ruin their transmission. This hobby has some real winners in it.
    All I could do was to turn off the radio, its gotten that bad. Our club is next to die.
    Its really been a fun year so far.
    Have a great time everyone.

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

There is an answer to this problem. Find him and shut him down. If you're trying to provide emergency communication and he is interfering, you and he both know the consequences. DF his signal, after you document and record everything, let him know you've IDed him and tell him it stops or you turn your documentation over. You might be able to get the local cops to talk to him. They'll have little jurisdiction, but they may be willing to help. Remember, your QRMer is a coward. He does what he does anonymously from behind the mic. He does not want people to know who he is. Once you pull him out of the closet, he'll be a good boy (most of the time, some of these guys are just asses).

If you aren't willing to take the steps to catch this coward, don't complain about it here. VHF/UHF Direction Finding is easy, and ANYBODY can do it.

3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW Folks, It was a power outage...these happen all over the world and life goes on. DA ZED went down for a few hours. I jokingly posted days ago that I didn't notice. I noticed and I went and did other things. No Biggie! I posted on another Forum that graciously allows me to be a member that it was down so others wouldn't keep refreshing their page and pinging their ISPs as I did. The end of the world did not occur and life, as we know it, goes on.

The database is freely available on the FCCs's Website. The Canadian Database is available online for free. There is even free software that allows you to search these databases by callsign. No internet needed after your initial download. No DX lookups, but even here, the DX info is subject to question because it is submitted by the person in the database. Most of it is accurate but scammers and jokers have been taking advantage of that loophole lately (Look up the callsign IB4TL).

The management of QRZ did an outstanding job of saving all of their data including that couple of ads I had just posted, and getting the site back up. Why complain about it?

4. KB0TT

KB0TT Ham Member QRZ Page

HUH ??

A Technician president of the club ???? Good for you and your club ....

Actually , what does your input have to do with the QRZ cloud failure ???

TNX ..

I learned something today.

J.

WØJBC

NNNN

J.

5. WA5GM

WA5GM Ham Member QRZ Page

awesome job !! we have all come to rely on this great web site known as QRZ.com
    thanks for keeping it alive and well.
    73"s
    DE WA5GM
    Gordon

6. K6TEP

K6TEP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the digital/computer geeks amongst us, AWS posted their post-mortem and lessons learned: http://aws.amazon.com/message/67457/

Short story - one gen set (out of more than 10) failed to provide stable power before the UPS drained. They were without power for 10 minutes. But the actual recover the systems, get the DBs, EBSs etc sycned is what took the hours of time.

7. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like typical corporate 'KMA'. :mad: Outage reportedly lasted 20 minutes when the customer experience was quite different. And to make up for it they may give customers 2/10 of one percent rebate for their trouble.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.