ad: portazero-1

Amazon Alexa as a Shack Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0NPT

KD0NPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows 10 snoops enough as it is, why add a hardware snoop device?

K8XG, VE7DXW and KG5THG like this.
  2. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Alexa doesn't snoop. As previously stated, Alexa activates only when a keyword is spoken. Imagine how much storage would be required to record the audio from about a fourth of the households in the United States, then keep it for any length of time... not to mention what would be required to search it for any potential wrongdoing. We have Alexa in my shack and another in our bedroom. We use it as an alarm clock, background nature sounds to cancel out the neighbors yapping poodle, and other things.

One cool "skill" that you can enable for Alexa is the resistor color code. I do a lot of building and it's very convenient to say, "Alexa ask resistor color code red red red black". She comes back with the value. Yeah, I know the color code but this is a convenient way of double checking. You can also use it in reverse to confirm which value of component you're putting on the board - before you solder it.

W1TRY and KG7ZFC like this.
  3. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Care to provide facts? Links? Real information?

KG7ZFC likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

K4HBK likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Many Zed threads exhibit distortion from excessive "middle-out compression" ;).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They can bug me all they want to. They'll get so bored they'll be offline 15 minutes after starting.

N4AAB and W6KKO like this.
  7. KG7ZFC

KG7ZFC Ham Member QRZ Page

From the second article:

Another question: How do you know when your digital assistant is recording what you say? Amazon provides several ways to activate the recording beyond the "wake" word. A light on the Echo turns blue to indicate audio is streaming to the cloud. After the request is processed, the audio feed is supposed to close. You can also set the device to play a sound when it stops streaming your audio, but what happens if the device is hacked or modified to keep recording?​

If someone hacks or modifies my Dot, I have a legal case against them. If it's the government...well, they have nukes and I have nothing, so I lose. Other than them, no one is going to care enough to either a) hack my network (a criminal offense), hack my Dot (if it's even possible), and collect my data, or b) break into my house (a criminal offense) and do the same. Either way...seriously? No one cares about me.

8. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ironic how the steeple actually are willing to pay for the fox to infiltrate the hen house. Nothing like forking out cash to allow your privacy rights to be stripped away.
    Everything you say, do and research will be used against you by "Big Brother".

K8XG and VE7DXW like this.
  9. W7WQ

W7WQ Ham Member QRZ Page

blah blah blah

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Your "blah blah blah" will now reside on the internet for the rest of time and you will not have ownership of it.... you do know this, right? :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

KN1M and W1TRY like this.
  11. K5TRI

Actually not quite correct. The author of the blah blah blah does indeed in the US own the copyright to this wonderful piece of poetry. Would anybody now go and use said piece
    in a commercial context, let's say as the copy for any given TV advertisement (it would appear that already happened several times), the author could sue and demand to be paid
    based on loss of income due to the infraction. This usually is not a very high sum. The amount increases dramatically if the author would have registered his work with the
    library of congress in which case he could make bank.

12. W7UUU

All very true indeed.

However, the "blah blah blah" as stated will forevermore live on and can be read by countless generations on into the distant future :)

As can (and will!) be what I just wrote.... wow! we're ALL immortal when we post on internet forums :D

Dave
    W7UUU

13. K5TRI

[​IMG]

K8XG and W7UUU like this.
  14. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

15. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the basic argument. But it is undermined by the reality of past and present NSA and GCHQ mass-surveillance. Their mentality is, and always was, 'build a file and keep it handy'. Governments are not always benevolent. Look at the 'Patriot Act' and all that rubbish. Patriotic, according to who's criteria?

And the, of course, there are the criminal hackers...

VE7DXW likes this.