ad: elecraft

Amazon Alexa as a Shack Companion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0PSX, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

more likely to call 911 and have cops run in on you....

2. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave...are you still there Dave...Dave...I have always had your best interests at heart...Dave....Dave.............

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Alexa! Open the shack door!

I'm afraid I can't do that Dave. P5 is on, and you aren't authorized to talk to them.

N4AAB, KA2CZU and KC8VWM like this.
  4. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with "Alexa" is a lot more subtle...

It listens to you and you sound sad.... next thing you notice all the advising change to antidepressant drugs and in sever case your shrink will call and set up and appointment....

5. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone years ago who decided something about me, based on never having met me, etc, told me he was going to have me investigated. I told him to go right ahead, I'm boring and the government knows I'm boring. He walked away. No idea if he did the investigation or not. But my employers have done background checks, which all come back with a clean past.

6. W3TWG

W3TWG Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess not huh?

7. THESPACEMAN

THESPACEMAN QRZ Member

Does it really keep a record of every word that is said in your home?

8. W5JPT

W5JPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The real question is why would they? Imagine how many words we say in a day, times the number of people in the household, times the number of units sold. That equals a whole lot of server space that could be used by something more productive. But to answer your question, it only listens (so they tell us) when you use the wake up word. "Alexa"

N6HCM likes this.
  9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the ECHO in my home for a couple of years. IT is about as valuable in the ham shack as a box of onions.

AD5HR likes this.
  10. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

no. it doesn't even transmit unless you use the wake word. anyone who can view net activity on their router can see this.

this is not an unreasonable question to ask, though ...

THESPACEMAN likes this.
  11. KF4ULD

KF4ULD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Alexa on Ham Radio, literally. I have her listening to the speaker. When someone on the frequency asks "Alexa, what time is it?" or another decent question, she answers and that answer gets sent over her stereo mini cable, through a mixer then out to the voice activate (VOX) transmitter out to whoever is listening on the repeater. I also had her making phone calls via ham radio phone patch this weekend. It's pretty cool and I'm the first to do it. This does not violate FCC violations as it is not "automatic" because a human with a ham radio license has to instigate this and control it by law.
    View my videos here:

Thanks for reading. Matt Cero / KF4ULD / mattcero@gmail.com

Attached Files:

N4AAB likes this.
  12. K2LED

K2LED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KF4ULD, I forgot to disable the microphone in my shack echo while watching your vid. You did a great job placing a call from my echo to yours. My echo did as you requested. Wondering if this will count as a QSO in a contest?

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Alexa? I don't think so.

14. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Steven (NL7W):

Interesting that you "liked" this post earlier.

Regarding Alexa and data mining - of course that's being done - by Alexa. Every time you make a request for a service, restaurant, music, etc. a profile regarding you and your needs and preferences is being built. And you are then being directed to services/suppliers paid by Amazon to promote their product. And of course, all of your mined data is "secure" on Amazon's servers. Until they sell it or its stolen. It's THE prime motive for building the Alexa system. To mine data and direct service to you based on what is mined.

Some voice command services, like Samsung's have been sued for streaming and selling processed audio feeds (without disclosure) to other companies. I received a notice of settlement from Samsung regarding a TV I bought from them that had the voice command feature, admitting they had done this. I did not junk the TV or burn the remote.

So... per an earlier post by another Alexa defender, who stated that he monitored the Alexa network feed and it was only active when "Alexa" was spoken.... really? How does he know that there are not other trigger phrases built into Alexa? We don't. And plenty of mining happens WHEN the trigger phrase is used to ask for information and services.

I have quite a few friends who could not care less. They have nothing to hide and privacy is not that important to them. How do I know? They told me so. And they use and enjoy Alexa (and other similar services). And that's just fine. But believing that these services are both "free" and pure of other profit intents and methods is simply naive.

But don't worry. I'm sure Alexa is an exception that is pure at heart and in deed (NOT).

Brian - K6BRN

N4AAB likes this.
  15. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you use a search engine such as Google? Facebook? Any "free" email services such as Hotmail, live, gmail, etc? ANY information you give can be "mined", and companies such as Google and Facebook. Their entire business model depends on targeted advertising. This is nothing new. The level of data that we give to a service like google is far more "telling" than Alexa - at least in my experience. Here are the kinds of questions we ask Alexa - "What time is it? What's the weather? Set a timer/alarm for xxx" - nothing as detailed and specific as I can get on Google. Your posts and opinions here on the ZED can be mined - are you concerned about that? I understand that Amazon is keeping track of what I buy, what I search, what I ask. I don't recite my tax returns to Alexa, I order cat food, check the weather, ask her to tell me a joke. USING the internet, visiting web sites, etc., will paint a much more detailed picture about you than Alexa. What do you think your ISP knows about you???

That was me. I can capture the network traffic coming from Alexa, and there is very little when it's idle, and a burst of activity when it's activated by it's wake word. Period. Others have done way more in depth analysis work.

N0TZU likes this.