Amazing junk you see on eBay

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W7UUU, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There oughta be a thread!!

There's just so much junk being peddled on eBay by clueless sellers. We've all seen it - usually the really nutcase stuff. But some of the more mundane like this just crack me up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Py...&sd=122522319448&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

Used, short lead, ancient capacitor for $3.99 + $4.00 shipping? Even if it were brand new, it would be well below the limit for first class postage, shipped with a 49 cent stamp.

Amazing...

upload_2018-3-17_20-51-3.png

Or how about his $169 5U4 rectifier tube!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-Tung...962162?hash=item1a4783af72:g:h5cAAOSwOJJaqU5N

upload_2018-3-17_20-51-55.png

There's almost always a full moon over eBay it seems....

Dave
    W7UUU

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw a guy once auctioning off a quarter.
    Starting bid at 25 cents.

Another guy was auctioning off navel lint....

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think Ebay did not use to charge a fee for shipping amount, so sellers buried their costs/profit in high ship fees. This also set a
    Minimum amount they would receive. Don't think this still applies?

Only cost I look at is the delivered price.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K7MH likes this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe audiophooles go crazy for antique caps?

6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, they changed that a while ago. Now they charge you a percentage of the shipping costs to make sure they get their fair share. Too many things were listed as a 1 cent sale with very high shipping costs to avoid paying completed listing fees. People still seem to try to rip us off with unusually high shipping fees. I don't consider them trustworthy and give them no consideration. If they are trying to cheat either Ebay or me from the get-go why should I ??
    I have always kept the shipping cost as low as I can.

7. YO3GFH

YO3GFH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I just looked and you can buy them for $38.00 dollars from a company??

John, WB0MPB

10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which - the capacitor or the 5U4? I'm guessing the tube.... that cap is crap from some restoration (hence the short leads)

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.