ad: Flexradio-1

Amazing DX in the time of plague

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by NH7L, Mar 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NH7L

NH7L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In this horrible time, hundreds of thousands ... maybe millions ... of hams worldwide are stuck in their homes, unable to carry on normal lives. How can this global calamity have an up side?

Answer: with exceptional DX. Band conditions are mostly not good right now, but there probably are more amateur radio stations on the air during this horror than even during the bigger contests. MANY more.

I operate a pipsqueak station, limited by circumstances to low power and even lower (and smaller) antenna. In the last 24 hours of more or less continual data-mode operation (mainly FT8 on 20 and 40 meters), my country count is more than double what it usually is. I'm pulling in stations on literally every continent, something I have never done before with my present extremely compromised station at this QTH.

If you haven't fired up your rig, and you are able to, this is the time. Check it out.

And try to stay home and stay healthy. 73 de NH7L.

KS2G and KQ9J like this.
  2. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

WELL SAID This is a harrowing time, but radio will help many keep occupied and up to date with useful information.
    Even the Prime Minister and UK Health Minister have contracted the virus by being absolute MORONS, and not wearing masks in public was the height of stupidity to the point of being criminal. DO NOT GO OUT WITHOUT WEARING A MASK
    sanitize everything you touch, shopping trolley, credit card, touch screens, (that can be operated with gloves if you put a dollop of sataniser on the screen.) please just stay indoors, or in your garden. dont go out unless necessary, and only if wearing gloves and mask. if you havent got a mask, make one from hoover bag materiel. its better than nothing. this isnt going to be over for at minimum of 3 months so get sorted out now... please and be safe...

G0DHJ likes this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

trying to finish my 5Band WAS, now if I could just get some 10M prop. Most of 80-15 done

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am completely AMAZED I worked 5T5PA in Mauratania on EIGHTY METERS!!!
    OMG!!!!!!!
    and that is with 100W into a G5RV!!!
    already in LOTW too!

5. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty close on 10, but waaayyyy lacking on 12. Those bands have been open to South America for a while just about every day, but I already have all those countries pretty well covered. I need a nice long opening across the pond to EU then I could CLEAN UP! Then I'd have 8 band DXCC. Alas, I don't think it's gonna come easy. Least not for a while, yet. :(