Amateur Sun Spots

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Oct 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

have a go at this bad boy

122688867_780787849382095_2458315947334195552_n.png

KO4ESA and WZ7U like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but...

The latest N0NBH report places the SFI
    back down to a relatively quiescent value
    of 71 ... with a K-index of 4.

Most Recent.JPG

Good luck!!! ;):rolleyes::cool:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    KO4ESA likes this.
  3. M0YRX

M0YRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Untitled (2).png There are three other areas with faint small Sunspots atm by the latest SDO/NASA images both leading and trailing AR12778 and one area in the NW, it remains to be seen if these will hang about and grow to get classified though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    KO4ESA, VK4HAT and WZ7U like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amateur astronomers did observe the Sun in white light for many years, but, yeah, it's really only been the last 20 years they've had access to affordable hydrogen alpha filters that let you see the fun stuff other than sunspots like prominences. :)

KO4ESA, KB3JAE and KA4DPO like this.
  5. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding!

KO4ESA and VK4HAT like this.
  6. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I joined the local astronomical society in 1959, there was a member, Brian Manning, who made his own spectrohelioscope. Diffraction gratings big enough to be suitable for his set-up were prohibitively expensive so he made his own machine to produce diffraction gratings. You can look him up on Wiki (as Brian G W Manning) which mentions his diffraction grating ruling machine but not his spectrohelioscope. There was another amateur spectrohelioscope in the UK at that time but after sixty years I cannot remember any details other than it used oscillating slits rather than rotating prisms to scan the sun. In that year of 1959 I also joined the British Astronomical Society, and joined their very active Solar Section, making daily observations of sunspots. I ceased practical astronomy in 1972 so I don't know if solar observing fell off after that time.

KO4ESA and W4NNF like this.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I much prefer PROFESSIONAL sunspots.

KO4ESA and KC2SIZ like this.
  8. W4NNF

There were always people interested in the Sun...and usually sufficient interest in ALPO's (the U.S. Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers) solar section. But there is no denying that things didn't really get rolling until Coronado came out with their (relatively) inexpensive little H-A scope. :)

KO4ESA and KA4DPO like this.
  9. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

True. Spectrohelioscopes were complex and well beyond the construction capabilities of most amateur astronomers, though if you could build one it would let you image the sun in any wavelength of light - think of an H-alpha filter as analogous to crystal control and a spectrohelioscope as VFO control! I remember studying the plans for one and quailing at it, telescopes I could build, but not one of those.

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. W4NNF

Many, many years ago...like in the late 60s there was an issue of Sky & Telescope with the incredible spectrohelioscope a young amateur astronomer had built on the cover. I thought that was the coolest thing...but I certainly never contemplated building such a thing. ;)

KO4ESA and VK4HAT like this.