Amateur radio transformed int a CB radio service

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by MW6ZAN, Aug 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. MW6ZAN

MW6ZAN Ham Member QRZ Page

I shall but say this only once ham radio is nothing more than a cb service. I took my uk licence in aug 2012 since then i have had qsos from russia to the usa using just an icom ic706 mk2 through a versatuner into a half size g5rv antenna running approx 10 watts. But im still having problems getting into australia and my goal bangkock both ellusive to me since 2012. But hey i have been informed i can go buy a micronode to link into my internet modem and using an i phone or tablet or computer, dont even need a ham radio can have instant qsos with fellow radio amatures who dont give a rats arse about the true concept of what a radio amateur and the hobby actually means, ie rf antenna to antenna contact not via a third party non radio amateur internet thats cheating in my opinion so unfortunatly australia and bangkock shall remain ellusive to me as i will not accept the likes of hubnet as a part of the radio amateur hobby. have a nice day

KN4YYB likes this.
  2. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy amateur radio. And I enjoyed CB, too. :rolleyes:

US7IGN, KX4O, KO4PYL and 8 others like this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Australian boarders are closed due to covid, we are not accepting dx at this time.

K3EY, W7ASA, KN4YYB and 44 others like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur is what one makes it out to be...

KG4RRH, W4HMB and K4NWD like this.
  5. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

9 years and still on a toddlers licence.

DM2TT, N8SAN, W3SY and 8 others like this.
  6. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with you to a large extent, but it is important to recognise that amateur radio serves multiple purposes. QSOs that are wholly or mostly internet linked are at one extreme and at the other you have the real purists who will insist that amateur radio exists only to permit self-education in radio electronics. I know at least one British ham who will seriously tell you that you should only operate with radios and antennae that you designed and built yourself and, once you've made a dozen QSOs on it and have been able to quantify its performance, you should turn it off, dismantle it and try to build something better.

Personally speaking, I've pretty much had enough of construction. I do chase DX and I enjoy contests, but I also enjoy a good rag-chew - and repeaters, including internet linked repeaters, are an important vehicle for that...

Martin (G8FXC)

DM2TT and US7IGN like this.
  7. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Should be like motorbike CBT, 2 years & then banned.

DM2TT, GW7UNV and M0DPX like this.
  8. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yay let me post another controversial thread full of divisive sentiment to generate a lot of site traffic.

W9RAC, KD2RDG, N1EN and 10 others like this.
  9. WB7PMP

WB7PMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Its in the name; Radio. It was and still is for some of us interested in propagation, antennas and perhaps Maxwell's equations a bit of ethereal magic. Ron:

N3UIQ, WA8FOZ, W4HMB and 3 others like this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait, so let me get this straight...

The OP is having trouble working DX, specifically VK and HS (on the other side of the globe from him), near the bottom of the solar cycle, on a non directional compromise antenna, using near QRP power levels...

Therefore Amateur Radio has, in his eyes, turned into CB.

Right.

K3EY, DM2TT, N8SAN and 35 others like this.